Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. arsebanditskaelsucker

arsebanditskaelsucker Senior Member

nice danks :) defo the s like you said but still clean as fuck
    quite like that hork too...not to sure bout the t arrow going across the middle of the o tho :)
    da fugg.... loving the colour scheme its mental just the s is a bit sqwished :)
    think am just nit picking again though mostly....post some more shit up soon kiddies! :)

2. One Evil

One Evil Elite Member

yeah Os get annoying after awhile, thanks for the crits.. any is welcome if its real criticism not no hate crime shit haha :p
    one

3. sir.to.you.

sir.to.you. Senior Member

unfinished and dont really even want to cuz i fucked up. but i switched the EO whats up wit it?
    afarm6.static.flickr.com_5153_5886215425_62e1b3e23b_z.png
    DSCF1132 by ripmb, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Ace.K

Ace.K Banned

It seems like each letter is just doing its own thing and isnt keeping at one theme. Know what i'm sayin?

5. sir.to.you.

sir.to.you. Senior Member

yea i feel you i noticed that right as i painted it, shits booty

6. Rasm

Rasm Senior Member

@Hork,You need to lose a lot of those extensions and arrows. The extension off the bottom of the H is especially bad, and the arrows off the tops of the H, O, and R are too forced and don't flow well with the piece. You seem to have a decent understanding of the letters but some adjustments do need to be made. Try pushing the R closer to the O and losing the arrow in between. I kind of like the extension off the bottom of the K but it doesn't work in this sketch. It's a little too big and goes too low. It seems like the sketch is angled diagonally up but then the K is completely flat and doesn't go with the rest. Keep it up, your shit isn't bad and it's definitely coming along. Thanks for the kind words by the way!

@DaFugg, Man you really fucked that Seder sketch up. The letters are trash and that extension off the R that goes along the top of the whole thing is quite terrible. It's obvious that you spent barely any time on it at all... the letters don't flow well and they're definitely not your best.

@Seder, You've been adjusting your R's a lot lately and they're starting to form nicely. I still don't know how I feel about the bottom bars on your E's but the extensions at the top are alright, partly because they're too small to throw the piece off. I don't really love the S either. It's mostly round at the top and then very straight at the bottom. You might want to try flipping it and playing around and see if you find something you like better.

@Toes, Like AceK said your piece has no flow or consistency. For now, lose the shit between the O and the E, and the E and the S, and make all the letters separate. Like I said last time, GO SIMPLE. The E is also too small, especially compared to the T. The top of the S is all fucked up (watch your bar widths) and for now you should lose that tiny extension you put on the lower end of the S and learn to make it look good on its own. That kind of shit comes with time.

Now it's my turn. I posted this the other day but I fixed a few things up since then. It still needs work but I'll probably re-do it on a separate page.
    CRITS?

[Broken External Image]:http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8527/imag086511.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. .Cuore

.Cuore Senior Member

No crits... that's quailty in my book.

8. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

Totally agree, but I know what I did WRONG lol. You guys got any suggestions though? I'm gonna trash the idea I had going with the R because it obviously didn't work, no hurt in trying though.

9. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

100_3221.jpg My Sons initials, (due sept 17th). Some Self crits; I don't like how far my C was, . 3D is shit. My letters are still in a process to be perfected.

10. Ace.K

Ace.K Banned

Good bar width mostly. The J seems a bit lower than A and C.

11. Rasm

Rasm Senior Member

Wow man, thanks!

Nah don't trash the idea you had going with the R; work with it. You have the R leaning to the left, and since it's bottom-heavy, the top of the R looks even less proportional and doesn't go nearly as far to the right as the bottom. So, adjust the top of the R to account for it. Here's a bunch of R's I just drew real quick for you to get some inspiration from. They're not that great because it's 2:30 in the morning and I rushed them.

[Broken External Image]:http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5641/ahshj.jpg

As far as the rest of the sketch, I wouldn't have the top part of the S overlap the middle bar. That middle bar should take priority and have the top tucked behind it. Also I wouldn't let that bottom bar go so far up to the left. With the E's, the extensions on the top could work if you make them a nice consistent shape and size, and put them at the right angle. As for the bottom extension, I would just drop it completely. The D isn't anything special, it's just triangular and the bottom is unfinished. I'd drop the two small extensions at the top because they're doing nothing but crowding the piece. Just take your time with your lines and keep your curves smooth and clean, and your shit will start looking much better soon.

12. dankbudz

dankbudz Elite Member

dafugg- that 3d aint that bad, i like the angle of it. and for crits, i would raise the J up, and thicken the left bar of the A, and im not really feeling how far that extension goes. and like you said push that C in.

13. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

Thanks, that was pretty helpful.
    I see what you mean about that J Acek, I think the highest point is the same height but I struggle with T's and J's. they'll come around.

14. dankbudz

dankbudz Elite Member

dafugg- also bro, i would connect the verticle bar fully to the top horizonal bar. and dont slant the vert. bar so much. but keep it steezy

15. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

Not feeling the tilt on the second pic, I do ike the background you got on it though a lot. Bar width seems to change on every line and it's not consistent. But it's got style.

Thanks for the crits Dank. I really like my A, I keep working on it, but I always go back to it. I don't know why, it's so generic.

16. dankbudz

dankbudz Elite Member

Evow, second one is pretty bunk, first one is pretty decent, first half is good in my mind aha
    Dafugg, yeah i do that shit too, i willl like how i did a letter and i come back to it always. but even though i do that myself, i feel like you shouldnt do it, or at least experiment with it. so you dont get stuck on one style for that letter.

17. FAR

FAR New Member

photo.jpg

the r is bad, i know. critics?

18. Phillip McDougall

Phillip McDougall Elite Member

I'd like to see that painted, but bring the hole in the R a little lower, and make the bars on the F the same thickness as the A, as well as the R

19. b SQUARED 08

b SQUARED 08 Senior Member

Take notes kids, this is mint aside from the overlapping lines on the Y and A. Nice work man.

Did this for a friend yesterday for some free sketches I've been doing for practice on FB. Crits/ comments appreciated.
    ai272.photobucket.com_albums_jj168_Griffery0508_Photo48.jpg

20. Rasm

Rasm Senior Member

@Dafugg, on that AJC one, make sure you keep your bar widths the same. Raise that horizontal bar on the J up a little bit and try experimenting making the bottom of the J similar to how you made the bottom of the C, just facing the other direction of course. And push both letters closer to the J, especially the C which is very far away. Also, make the C a bit wider to match the width of the A and J. And for that bottom extension on the C, don't have it get wider as it goes out; keep it the same width. For now anyways. Once you get the hang of it and know what looks good, you can experiment with different bar widths. You'll be able to feel what's good as your drawing it once you get to that level.

@Evow, not too bad man. On that top one, try keeping your bar widths on the top and bottom horizontal bars of the E's the same; otherwise the inconsistency makes them look awkward. As for the second one, the tilt isn't bad if you know how to make it work. I feel like the 3D on the inside of the E should end somewhere. It would probably look better if the entire inside wasn't black. Also, the varying bar widths isn't a bad thing either, just make sure that they're changing at consistent angles, ya feel me? It will be much more aesthetically pleasing that way.

@Far, man keep your bar widths consistent. I always end up saying the same things when giving crits in this thread. The F has the widest bars, then the R, then the A, which is definitely not working. Also I wouldn't just move the hole inside the R down because then it won't line up correctly and it will look bad. Also watch out for that extension on the top of the R... where is it coming from? It should probably line up with the top of the curved part of the R, right? As for the drop shadow, the entire inside it shouldn't be black, there should be some white spots, especially below the F, between the legs of the A, and same with the R.

@B Squared, thanks for the kind words man, and I'm going to have to give you some too, because that's the best thing on this page. Kids, take note of this guy too because his bar widths are indeed changing, but for the most part they're changing in the right ways and places. Especially that bottom right leg of the K. For crits, I might have made the top right point of the Y a little wider... maybe the same width as the top edge of the top diagonal bar of the K. Besides that I can't say much, it's pretty good all around. I'm digging the L and the super clean fill. Kayla better return the favor.

EDIT:
    Alright, not sure how I feel about this one. Didn't decide what word to write until I was halfway done with the T. Says STAR.

[Broken External Image]:http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1077/imag0873.jpg

CRITS?