Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. THEPOSTWHORE5000

THEPOSTWHORE5000 Elite Member

gesus, i meant "blank wall"
    i doubt anyone was truly interested in a blank wall, unless they were on LSD, shrooms, and other fun drugs.

havoc-yup its panic..new name..

2. Ravek

Ravek Elite Member

i wrote my post before i read any one else's post so it wouldn't influence my opinion on this subject, graffiti is considered art by richer parts of soceity the people that don't have to look at it every day, grafffiti is hated strongly by the poorer parts of soceiety, because they look at it everyday and they can't read, its all dirty scribley and shit, and it gives off a feel of discomfort and making them feel like they arn't secure, bombing is not art, ther is little or no effort put forth in tagging or bustin throws, it like breathing, you do it all the time, and its nothing special when some one takes a breath of air, maybe if ur tag can tell some one what u were feeling (joy, anger, depression, etc) then it may be art by some in the art world, it hard to get feeling so strong out of somthing like that, bombing is about getting ur name up and around for people to see and acknoledge ur existence, i kno that other writers will stop to read ur throw or tag, but regular people won't, the only time that happened that i kno off the top of my head is cornbread in the 70's, my dad remebers distinctly seeing corn bread when he was young in the city, but that doesn't make it art, bombing is not art, i think graffiti murals are very artistic depending on what it is, if its an awesome piece with a aweosme backround thats art, like the murals that 3A crew does, that is art, the writer puts effort forth into the whole mural, he/she puts the effort forth then steps back and looks at it he/she gets a great feeling inside, when a writer does an awesome character, that a regular person can look and say "wow thats really cool" then that is definately art, there are alot of diferent styles to diferent writers, and i think its about the amount of effort put forth, if people rich or poor can enjoy looking at it and if u can see expression and feelings other then destruction in it, then it some graffiti may be art, also regualar people can look at a piece with a billion arrows and really colors and be like wow thats really good, but actaully it can be shit to some writers, then that is knowing the art of graffiti, like the art of carpentry, or the art of metal workers

bombing= not art
    piecing and murals= art

3. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

well man a while ago a good writer once told me "street art is graffiti but graffiti is not street art" and i live by those words because when i sat down nd started thinking about what he said its sooo true...

i used to be all about giving my parents the graffiti is art speach untill i actually stepped back and really looked at it from a person who doesnt do graffitis view and then i looked at it as my person who does graffiti view and noticed that it wasnt art even when i looked at it though my eyes....

i noticed all the toy shit around... all the bombs and toss, all the trouble i been in.. the arrests everything, i do some art but i do a whole fuck load lot more vandlism which is why im tryin to balence it all out with painting up junk laying around and puting it all over in public places so it not vandlism its recreating shit and i have watched people pick up a bit of my art work and walk away with it.... and its a good feeling knowning that it might be a gift to some one.. or it will be hangin in someones houses... its a good feeling but then again so it the huge freeway hit i did last night along with all the bombing... but i think rebus said it best when he said "the art is the vandlism"

4. swich

swich Elite Member

Of corse its art!!!!!!!Tagger graffiti can often be easily recognized because it is more stylized and artistic, with fat, wild-style, or geometric letters. It usually contains brighter colors and more detail than gang graffiti, and may include pictures, as wellTo many taggers, graffiti is a culture and a way of life. Many taggers believe they are creating a form of artwork, which they call "aerosol art." As a tagger begins to build a reputation, he or she will chose a style and nickname. As taggers gain more experience, they will look for larger walls and locations that are more difficult to reach. When they are not doing more graffiti, most taggers will talk about graffiti and carry sketchbooks to draw ideas. Many will keep ledgers or records of their activities, including where they tagged and how long the graffiti stayed up before it was removed. Some will travel to other areas to learn about graffiti techniques. They also study the work of other taggers, often from other areas around the world. Of course, the Internet has only facilitated this process. Taggers are proud of their "art," and will often photograph or videotape their "work" as it is being drawn by the tagging crew. They will take their friends to see it. so yeah i personally do think it is a form of art....just illegal art, but art none the less.

5. tre'tre'

tre'tre' Senior Member

sounds like something youd hear on the news^^^ or a shitty documentary on graffiti artists

6. tre'tre'

tre'tre' Senior Member

7. dez1

dez1 Senior Member

im no art critic but in my eyes a real nice coulorfull peice is art with out a dought. but mindless vandelism like 50+ tags on 1 door and 50+throw-ups on some random wall isnt art BUT SO FUCK ITS FUN!!!!!! :lol: :p

8. SEtAK

SEtAK Elite Member

the real art is people make canvas .. nice product with carac .. sticker .. like gesus your are art ... some other are to ...

9. SALVO

SALVO Elite Member

With both graffiti and traditional art there comes a community, one community is filled with criminals and kids who never got enough hugs. The other is filled with people trying to out weird eachother. I know this is a huge generalization but theres a lot more in graffiti than there ever was/will be in art.

When you go out and illegally paint you're risking a lot, maybe even you're life in some places. You dedicate time and labor over a piece with cans of paint, you get into fights, you get cut up, shot at, chased, stuck up, or arrested. For what? Painting on other people's property...

Now in the art scene, you get some rich banker who collects abstract art go give you a 10,000 dollar grant so you can buy a canvas to throw shit at and pay for your spacious Manhattan loft. The rest of the money goes towards party drugs.

What motivates a graffiti artist? Passion, recgognition, and fun, you don't get paid to scrawl on walls that don't belong to you.

10. Lazer

Lazer Elite Member

it's the art of letter structure and color use

11. Lazer

Lazer Elite Member

it's the art of letter structure and color use

12. Soar

Soar Member

bombing is not art, ther is little or no effort put forth in tagging or bustin throws, it like breathing, you do it all the time, and its nothing special when some one takes a breath of air, maybe if ur tag can tell some one what u were feeling (joy, anger, depression, etc) then it may be art by some in the art world

Ravek, you really couldn't be more wrong.

effort isn't a determining factor whether something is art or not..

and if something is so abstract not a single person in the world can understand it, that dosent make it NOT art.. it has NOTHING to do with the idea if people can decipher it "correctly" or not.

and gesus's quote
    i used to be all about giving my parents the graffiti is art speach untill i actually stepped back and really looked at it from a person who doesnt do graffitis view and then i looked at it as my person who does graffiti view and noticed that it wasnt art even when i looked at it though my eyes....
    some people don't like michalangelo's artwork. some don't like davinci. some don't understand dali's. just because someone can't appreciate an art form, dosen't instantly make it not art.

"the art is the vandlism" is a great quote. it can get even more complex if you reverse it too. "the vandalism is an art"

13. pane in prov

pane in prov Elite Member

graffiti is its own thing its self only people who do it will recognize the skill and hard work put into it and as for throws and some handies there is somewhat skill but not as much cus most handstyles and throws all look the same but idk its definitly vandalism cus your destroying it even if pablo picasso did a paint on the front of a quikie mart people would be like wtf why? cus it dont belong there but we all decided we ll do what ever the fuck we want its like one big rebellion with paint and in the process we pick up skill some how

14. pane in prov

pane in prov Elite Member

oh damn i read that over and its hard to understand
    me stupid

15. tre'tre'

tre'tre' Senior Member

To me art is whatever you percieve it to be, art is everywhere. Just because the police call graffiti vandalism doesnt mean it is. Vandalism is destruction, now open your eyes, graffiti is not destroying anything. Alot of you guys go out and say "Yeah man i write, im all out for destroying shit". Like your all hardcore and gangster or something. It sounds fucking stupid. And for some writers, graffiti isnt just about getting your name known, i dont care if im known or ever get known, because for me its the thought behind the tag, bomb, piece...whatever. Maybe to you someones graffiti does look like shit, but who are you to say whats good and whats not? You arent anybody to say that, because thats the great thing about graffiti, that there are no rules. Scribbles on electrical boxes aren't just scribbles, theres hard work, determination, skill, and a thought process involved. Graffiti is art. Art doesnt have to be on canvas to be called art. The mian reason im out writing and not sitting at home making canvases is because i love graffiti/art, its fun, and at the same time im defying the governemnt, and there fucked up rules they have created for todays corrupted society which they are responsible for. Graffiti is only vandalism if you believe and agree with what the law says. But if you make your own rules and set your own boundaries, graffiti...like art is whatever you percieve it to be. So to me graffiti is just another type of art. Out writing for the destroying? cant you see? were not destroying anything, were creating.

16. tre'tre'

tre'tre' Senior Member

oh and gesus, i understand where your coming from, but i have to say, i completely disagree.

17. silvr-one-bcg

silvr-one-bcg Member

i think bombing is art sometimes.....

the real heads are putting out work that in some ways is like calligraphy, making stylized letters. that and handstyles to me can be art, but 90% of stuff out there is shite.

18. pSYKAOz

pSYKAOz Elite Member

i jsut noticed... most of u saying its vandalism... are pretty much toys. (not all but most)

n those saying tags arent art... is like saying calligraphy isnt an art form. when its a widely accepted art form. and graffity is best described as 'urban calligraphy' therefore its art.

if you TRULY jsut believe in vandalism. why bother calling a kid a toy? hes fucking up shit! who cares if he has style or not??? point is hes doing vandalism.

now if graff is art... then having a nice handstyle is important. its having good calligraphy.

spend 3 yrs perfecting a tag... n then tell me its not art... cover 3 sheets of paper in lil pencil tags, n just find one intresting curve to rework n rework till u have one intresting letter and then finally an intresting tag... if thats pure vandalism... jeez. seems like alot of work when i could jsut throw rocks thru windows no? n if i jsut wana get my name up... whjy not use my normal handwritting? would be the most 'vandal' way to get up...

and why seperate the two? they arent mutually exclusive. its vandalism. its art. its both lol...

its destroying property in an artistic fashion... n i dont care if its jsut a 3 second tag... master artists can render the basis of a human with all the emotion and movement in 5 seconds or so and using jsut 3-4 lines...

its kinda like a 'tag' of a human lol...

to have a dope tag is alot harder then to have a dope piece. a tag is lines. one color. maybe flare if your with a can, or drips wiht a marker. thats pretty much it...

its alot harder to make something really dope that will make ppl stop o nthe street with a lil black line then rocking a 10 color piece, no matter if u got alot skills or not...

plus your tag style tend in most cases to define your pieces, specially as a beginner so its very much the 'skeleton' of your art...

19. Coo

Coo Elite Member

^^^ he makes sence.

20. LOSTxTHExFAITH

LOSTxTHExFAITH Senior Member