Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. Olick

Olick Elite Member

its called censorship art.

i take art history and i learns =D

google robert mapplethorpe. im serious btw. take caution. they showed that shit in my class=[

believe or not they consider his work to be art. and its offensive to some. and to others they see what hes trying to say. thier asking the same questions. "is it art" many people just wanna kill this guy

the reason why alot of arguments and brewing up cuz half of you kids dont open ur head. when you think art you just visualize graffiti. thiers still other forms retards.

just look at piss christ by Damien Casey. he believes its art even though its offensive to thousands of people. he messes up a whole religion. and btw dont post stupid comments sayin "oooh jesus aint realz" i dont care. open ur mind you closed headed fucks and think on both sides.

but what do those guys have in common that graffiti doesnt?

they don't do it illegally. so bitch n moan all you want.

but then again what about robert banksy? *think young grasshoppers*

he does shit illegally. and its art.

soooooo.

think about art as a whole. look up art movements and how thier were alot of controversys on them.

what do ALL forms of art have in common?

alot of them werent accepted at first. but as years passed by "like 20 or so" the people began to accept it.

so think about it. i hate to get all preachy up in the ass but just do some fuckin work and youll get the point. alot of you dont even kno what the word "art" means. and people today still have trouble defining it.

2. da_crazy_caucasian

da_crazy_caucasian Banned

I never said legal art wasn't art, I was trying to show thee hypocrisy of societies not accepting graffiti as art.

3. PeeInTheShower

PeeInTheShower Elite Member

a good read right here.

4. Olick

Olick Elite Member

TAnx!! sc00l wurkz. :D

i think a better questions i not wether graffit is art or not.

but ask urself.

what is art?

5. MF The Super Villain

MF The Super Villain Senior Member

That's a Ghostface Quote you fucking idiot. His shit is dope sauce. If your not down with the Wu than fuck you.

6. Olick

Olick Elite Member

7. senDboij

senDboij Senior Member

art is communication, movement and evolution.

when an writer says is work is not art there is good chance he speaks the truth.. when you are closing yourself from exterior influences and want to do noting but destruction, great possibility that it is not art..

though there are ways of destroying, that implicate high sensibility and make destruction feel more like transformation..

8. n_noodles

n_noodles Senior Member

Fuck art drop bombs..

nop but really, it is art, cuz its colors and shit, but still..

good old graff is all about destruction with style.

9. da_crazy_caucasian

The definition of graff

10. not_hammer_time

not_hammer_time Banned

that shit is stupid, i saw piss christ, its a jesus charm in a cup of piss, art? no, a statement? sure... by that assesment anything could be art, a pile of feathers with a bucket of ice nestled inside, an evelope with cat shit in it, a cup of piss (oh, wait)... you have to draw the line somewhere, and im sorry but kids writing words places isnt art

11. senDboij

senDboij Senior Member

What is art?
    since every one has a different versions of Art: concepts, techniques or both.. overall you could say art(and life) is a love triangle..

and what defines a love triangle? there are only 2 element touching each other at the same time.. while the third is looking..

that triangle is actually constantly evolving.. adding elements but always synthetizing the whole so there is only 2 elements..
    so actually there isnt no triangle.. only two elements.. but each elements knows that they're part of the whole from its relations and influences..
    and its this movement of the counsciousness that makes the third entity
    its like moving back from yourself and making the point..

so i agree the question is not "is graffiti art" of course it is.. but wheter what is art...

or even what is graffiti?

12. Olick

Olick Elite Member

griffit is writing on a wall. use the dictionary stupid! nah jp hahaha ur smart man. smarter then nothammertime.

photography. its a form of art.

the reason why people consder graffiti NOT art is because they only LOOK at graffiti. they dont even think. "hey...wtf is art neway. i bet its just something drawn on paper"

no u stupid twit. look at photography. its art. scuplture. its a fuckin work of art.

all alone. graffiti is NOT art. its vandalizm and you kno it.

but include every other art movement and way. yes. its a form of art.

alot of fuckin retard kids think art;s just pencils and papers but open ur mind a lil

13. da_crazy_caucasian

YOu contradict yourself, dumbass

14. Scheme*119

Scheme*119 Elite Member

you wish you were a bombing science asshole

15. da_crazy_caucasian

16. EasyLife

EasyLife Member

For me, it's most deffinitly art. The vandalism just adds to it. i'm representing myself and how i view the world at the expense of others, while showing the world my style. the fact that i'm destroying something else in order to show off my own shit. well thats a lot of it, but it's what i'm showing off in the first place that i care about ya dig

17. 00-made-00

00-made-00 Elite Member

Art is stuff you see in a gallery or at a legal wall.
    Graffiti is everything else, writing on stuff thats not yours and things you dont have permission to write on.
    Writing on stuff is never going to be art, you could paint the most beautiful piece ever at a trackside but its breaking the law so its not art, you break into a train yard and paint a piece not art vandalism.

18. B.S. POLICE

B.S. POLICE Banned

fuck Banksy! makes all this loot off graff and doesent give shit back to the culture taht made him and the kids taht keep it alive. fuck even marc ecko gave a ***** a lawyer!

19. kid.two2er

kid.two2er Member

fuck if i wanted to be an artist i'd wear scarves year round, clothes from american apparell, toques too big for my head and i'd smoke cigs just to look cool. i could give less of a fuck if graffiti's not art, like sure, i like the art aspect, but i wouldnt be doing it if i wasnt going out wrecking shit

20. Olick

Olick Elite Member

ok. im amazed and much stupidity people have on a website. i GARUNTEE more then half of you people dont even have a specific definition of art. from what im reading most of you think anything on paper is art. look at fuckin monuments or art scupltures u dumbasses.

so before you have a "argument" make sure you kno what the fuck your talking about.

please....define art.

that is the most smart answer i ever heard.

if you dumbfucks open ur asshole youll know what im talking about.

your a good example of todays youth "culture" dont kno what your talking about.

and as for bansky. that guy is kickass. i dunno why the fuck you dont like him. prolly you just wanna "rep" ur "crew" full of 14 year old friends u met on the "Streets." or maybe you think graffiti is big ass block letters on a wall.

graffiti by definition is anything drawn, written, w/e on a wall.

bansky's art is a movement. hes proving that making something eyepleasing illegal should be taken note of in society. that fucker goes into museums and post's up his own work just for shits and giggles.

now before you all think im getting preachy up in the ass. do some fucking research. i honestly imagine alot of you dressed up in "graffiti" clothes and have bags full of otrs thinking its graff culture.

so as for is graffiti is art?

it depends on why the individual does it.

if its to get up, represent himself, yeah...i think its a little bit of art.

if your images have some meaning. yeah why not?

it just depends on the guy who does it.

some people just wanna be reckless and destroy shit. others wanna prove some hypocrisy.

just depends on why you do it. thiers no real answer

edit. i just reread and relize i cus as alot of you haha. sorry though. its not personal to no one but it just irritates me how dumb people can get.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008