Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. the infamous one

the infamous one Elite Member

i personally consider peicing art.......like when u paint a portrait..its art....then when u paint a peice your putting the same skill into it....same with charaters...but bombing and throwies...no

2. glue

glue Elite Member

why cant it be both?

3. glue

glue Elite Member

4. glue

glue Elite Member

why thank you you said what im too lazy to type.
    if you do a bomb on paper its art because its not vandalism?
    fuck you guys are ignorant alot of you have horrible bombs and tags ide rather have nice bombs and tags then some wack thing with colour. shit doesnt have to be good to be art you can be horerible at what your doing but that doesnt mean your still not doing art. if i wanted to vandalize i would break bus stop windows not write my name on them. i dont vandalise shit that looks good to me a blank wall looks ugly a wall with splashes of colour all over it on the other hand does look like arte to me weather its a mural or a bomb ill give respect, it doesnt even have to be graff. fuck the haters if you dont respect it as art then stop doing it, i do have a sort of respect for it if i was just a vandal i would do worse.

5. glue

glue Elite Member

6. DK5600

DK5600 Member

its just a new movment of art. Van Gough was laughed at when he was alive... and he is now considered a master. to create tags and such still takes some level of creativity.

7. vegimite on toast

vegimite on toast Elite Member

It really depends, peices and nice prods are art. Throws and tags are for expression/fucking things up/ and or getting noticed. I don't really see them as art per say but some people do. Really tagging and throws and bombing are what give graff a bad name, but i like doing it. You can have graffiti without tags and throws.

8. sika_2002

sika_2002 Elite Member

i think certain aspects of graffiti are art, like pieces by daim, totem, astek ect. although i think it is about the destruction aswell.

9. GRAVITY

GRAVITY Senior Member

that wall under the sake looks nice.... dirty maybe in some eyes but it looks like a canvas =S with an urban theme

anyway anything that has a process of structuring is art....
    no not including your boner, haha jk hm notfunny but anyawy

why are graffiti pieces getting criticized? cause ppl dont like the structure, ppl like the color scheme, ppl like the arrows, ppl like the flow...

ppl has to judge pieces by using artistic factors

as for bombs and tags.... i find some throwups/bombs to be art, by how creative they were able to structure a simple thing

tags i donno, someone say something =S

10. MoNkEy

MoNkEy Elite Member

i would say its both. I mean letter forms and shit are taken as art, ask any artist and they will say all lettering is art. Also some shit aint like bombing and leaving ur handstyle everywhere is purpsoley gettin up and vandalising, but then again its letter forms so it still does have art in it.

11. glue

glue Elite Member

most of you suck at graff that might be why you dont respect it as art. alot of pieces are wack, i hate these things with no letters and extentions and wonderful colours. so fuck you. even if you use really generic letter its still art.

12. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

art 1 (ärt)
    NOUN:
    Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
    A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
    Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: "Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice" (Joyce Carol Oates).

arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    Artful contrivance; cunning.

...on a side note why can vadalism not be art?

13. glue

glue Elite Member

[​IMG]
    this isnt art? thats a product of bombing, its pretty nice and if theres no artistc skill involved then why do alot of you suck?\
    [​IMG]
    this isnt art? your telling me that sitht put no artistic skill into this and that all of you can amonnt?
    if there was no skill put into it you would all be amazing and not suck so hard. anyone can throw cans at a wall and get colour, but not alot of people can make letters work, make letters look good but still keep them as letters. FUCK YOU!

14. DK5600

DK5600 Member

15. pogopope

pogopope Senior Member

id say its both too.

sure were ruining peoples shit, but it takes a good amound of studying, practicing, effort, emotion, and passion to do. people aready said it but if it was purely vandalism why bother even developing style? its the style thats an artform. style in tags, throws and peicing.

in any form of art you have diffrent materials you need to be formilliar with. just like painters 200 years ago needed to know about canvasses or whatever they were painitng, diffrent kinds of paint (acryllic, oil based, egg tempra, etc.); we need to know about diffrent shit to use to make inks, make markers, diffrent caps, and so on..

i vote that graffiti is art, but its vandalism too.

16. DjTerrestrialConcept

DjTerrestrialConcept Elite Member

I am torn... I find it to be both but both sides have a reasonable argument... Lets just have it be a hybrid of art and vandilism. Its art if you want it to be but vandilism if you want it to be, or HELL EVEN BOTH because if you see it as art you are doing it illegally so it is vandalism. Think it out.....

17. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

why does everyone keep saying that it is vandalism!!!

that has nothing to do if it art or not!!
    vandalism can still be art, as art can be vandalism

the question is graffiti art, not is vandalism art. because yes some vandalism is art (graffiti) and some is not (tearing down a statue).

graffiti=art=vandalism=graffiti

18. Asshat

Asshat Elite Member

Shutup faggot.

This is what you actually had to say...

19. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

i nevewre said there wasn't any art involved i mean hey.... ima street artist theres not way i can say there no in there... but me personall i DONT do legal everything i do it strickly illegal and i see no art in that....

if this was any other website i would say its art but the fact that theres only a handfull... or was a handfull of people that bust murals... makes me art its not art because 80% of this website ISNT pumping out art

20. Bass~choker

Bass~choker Senior Member

its art at someone elses expence