Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. <[(Smokers187¤GS¤WM)]>

<[(Smokers187¤GS¤WM)]> Senior Member

Idk dood I still say its not art, it can be beautiful but its not actual art its not meant 2 be in an art show like wild animals dnt belong in the zoo 4 just our entertainment they should be free, free 2 get eaten(buffed) free 2 fight 4 power(beef) free 2 hunt anything they want n take it 4 themselves(stride 2 be a king).
    graffit I guess u can say is a "form" of art because of the reason ur saying 'expression', but then again u dnt call some guy who's crying or laughin an artist but he is expressing himself too wat about that man..n ya it duz take skill 2 do graff (good graff @least) but it takes skill 2 pass a test or pee in the bowl without hittin the seat but in reality it duznt matter if u got skill or not its a form of art not actual art..but it can be just as beautiful n make u think in ways art could

2. provinT13

provinT13 Senior Member

It's both art and vandalism. I don't see tags as art, but it can be, I just don't see them as appealing art. Piecing however is art no matter where it's done. I guess I'm in the middle. It's all art, but some of it is more vandalism then art.

3. DukeOne

DukeOne Moderator

lol i don’t think that to be true actually, ive seen many paintings, photos, and art videos of nothing more than people laughing or crying. The more you start analyzing anything particularly art, the more u realizing how undefined they really are. I think graffiti can be art, and cannot be, based on the intent of the maker and the impression made from the viewer. Anything can be art, it's just how well you market it.

4. <[(Smokers187¤GS¤WM)]>

I feel like I've said 2 much n I honestly dnt feel like anylyzing everything I wrote kuz I kinda forgot wat I said but Duke got a good point that I forgot the whole crying n laughin thing I guess that could be incorporated in2 it but ya I'm out of stuff 2 say... 4 now lol (off 2 skool)

5. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

so this is art??
    astatic.flickr.com_112_296304503_6eae712317.jpg

this might pass..
    abayhiphop.files.wordpress.com_2007_06_macdremural_eastoakland.jpg

but not this..
    a2.bp.blogspot.com__GeUoqt1lLXY_STxVG7FExBI_AAAAAAAAElg_JQeOvzoQgyI_s400_recent_bimg_24015.jpg

6. <[(Smokers187¤GS¤WM)]>

7. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

pussies just wanna say that there doin art..Motherfuckers just face it..its against tha law for a reason..
    it started as vandalism an to me will remain as pretty vandalism..

8. <[(Smokers187¤GS¤WM)]>

4realz exactly badass vandalism, but vandalism nonetheless
    (Haha I always wanted 2 use nonetheless in a sentance) lol

9. zaco

zaco Senior Member

sometimes its art, if thats ur intention

10. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

nope..its vandalism..

11. blashe

blashe Member

why would you ask if graffiti is art on a graffiti art website?

12. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

thats tha topic..i didn't ask..i know graffiti ain't any form of art..if its art..then its literature??

13. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

its still an artform its like saying is bboying dance?
    is turntableism music?
    they still follow the basic outline of there originators but with a new way of looking at it and with a different approach
    but yah heads can surgar coat graff all they want its still vandals adn theifs smashhhhing hard but smasshing with expression.
    graffiti is the new art movment in this post modernist world.

14. <[(Smokers187¤GS¤WM)]>

^that my man is hip hop^

Of course we see it as art, since we do it, n of course u can have thoz select few of people who dnt do graff but consider it art but @ the end of the day...u no wat fuck it I'm tired of arguing sumone else finish here lol

15. blackpeople

blackpeople Senior Member

i think all graffiti is art.....well i can see where you are coming from like throw ups and handstyles are not art tho.... those are strickly for the graffiti artest and getting up and making a name for them selves so they can get to the art level and get paid for it

16. downunder

downunder Senior Member

Who the fuck are you to judge what's art and what's not? Art is self expression, just because you may not like something doesn't mean it's not art. Hell, 99% of people can dislike something and it will still be art.

17. CrustOner

CrustOner Elite Member

Graffiti is one of the spectrums of hip hop culture.
    It's art. If I can call abstract splashes of color on a canvas art, I can call a throwup art. I can call a handstyle art.

It doesn't matter your canvas. It's done for creative destruction (as oxymoronic as that sounds). We destroy to create.

18. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

how can oyu say handies arent art shity handstyle= shitty artist.

19. FUS

FUS Member

you cant just choose which graffiti is art. Its either all art or not atall, if you think a beautiful piece is art, then the crappy little scrawls on all the lamp posts have to be accepted as art too. Maybe it is crappy art but it is art none the less, as the giant piece is essentially just another piece of graffiti.

the whole topic asks what is art? i mean i fuckin hate most of it, some guy comes and paints a canvas all blue and gets it put up in a gallery. alot of it may not be considered artistic atall, but the art is in the process, what brought them to do it and the arts motives. I know alot of graffiti doesnt have meaning, and alot of people writing have no intention of creating art they just wana get their name up...

But the process of graffiti on a whole has to be considered art if you think atleast one piece of graffiti is art worthy.

theres so much more i wana say but i hate writing... anyways its art in my opinion, and theres way worse shit out there which i dont think deserve to be called art half as much as graffiti does

20. supaskunkk

supaskunkk Senior Member

no no no no no yea no yea no yea yea yea