Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. "LIMIT"

"LIMIT" Senior Member

I tagg to make the things look better, and not for destroying them, at least thats me, and theres vandalism but just because the people put these rules, think about not having rules like you cant "destroy" people's property, then its not vandalism, so what is it then?

2. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

fuck you! your telling m,e that no artistic skill goes into that? [/b][/quote]
    first off FUCK YOU !!!!

second yea im saying there no artwork behind that i do agree with what waster12 said about the callig part but whatever when i make a statment ill always hold my grounds weather im right or wrong thats just how i am...

but ok so your doing to tell me simple ass throws that both u and me KNOW it takes maybe 30 seconds to do is art? how the fuck does that compair murals, sick characters, Permission walls (not legals) and everything else? theres no way it can how the fuck is it art i mean look man we both go out and bomb... how long does it take u to do hallow toss letters? how long did it take u to come up with somthing girls in 4th grade used to draw i mean dont get my wrong there are alot of SICK tosses out there like my boy dusbe's
    [Broken External Image]:http://img183.exs.cx/img183/8611/P8040098psd.jpg

but is that still art when its compaired with this?

[Broken External Image]:http://img164.exs.cx/img164/4871/p8040093psd2ur.jpg

as for hand styles there no art in them psy made a VERY good point i mean as much as maybe 3 or 4 people say i bit geezpot hand style i had it before i was every on bombing science it evolded from a philly hand style into what it is now... i love my handstyle and alot of other people do too but do i concider it art? fuck no

why cant u be liek all the other mature kids and just say ill agree to disagree but i see your point? you have to be a lil kid and act like what i said offended you

BOTTOM LINE

here some art for u guys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    View attachment 153001
    View attachment 153002
    [Broken External Image]:http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00436930f00000001.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00400884f00000015.jpg

H311 Y3@h D@t5 50m3 k3wl @rt YO!

psh.... please

3. Ume

Ume Moderator

to me it all depends on what you do, if you do murals and peices then its art, if not then its just expressing yourself in a vandal/semi artistic way, or it could be to look "cool" to other people, but if its just a tag or a throwie it isent art.....but remember ones mans garbage is another mans treasure.

4. xkingxsizexskillzx

xkingxsizexskillzx Senior Member

i voted no

i think in a way graffiti is art, but at the same time its vandilism. i started graffiti for the sack of destroying city property, just cause they are all a bunch of douche bags, so to me its vandilism. but piece or a mural or on paper i guess is art right? fuck the "oh if its just some toy its not art" whether your a toy or not its all the same..ITS VANDILISM :)

5. Soar

Soar Member

gesus, if your an open minded person, you won't take this offensively:

stop being ignorant.

now, if you are an open minded person, you would realize im not saying that to insult you or make you seem like a fool.

just because someone isn't skilled at art, dosen't make it not art. you're basically saying "that looks like shit, it takes no skill, and it is vandalism. therefore it isnt art"- which is an ignorant comment

theres nothing wrong with saying "that tag looks like fuckin shit, it sucks"

now, if you reply calling me a toy and telling me how much more you know than me, you'll just proove to me youre ignorant. but i'll give you more credit than that, because i think you're smart enough to realize i wasn't rippin on you by saying that, i'm just making an attempt to expand your mind

6. "LIMIT"

"LIMIT" Senior Member

Really, so how does the graffiti converts AUTOMATICALLY in art when you do it on paper and not on a wall?, like I said before, if "vandalism" doesnt exist because you can paint whaterever you want, then whats graffiti there?, just... nothing?, I dont think so.

7. "LIMIT"

"LIMIT" Senior Member

Yeah, like if I cared about that.

8. glue

glue Elite Member

first off FUCK YOU !!!!

second yea im saying there no artwork behind that i do agree with what waster12 said about the callig part but whatever when i make a statment ill always hold my grounds weather im right or wrong thats just how i am...

but ok so your doing to tell me simple ass throws that both u and me KNOW it takes maybe 30 seconds to do is art? how the fuck does that compair murals, sick characters, Permission walls (not legals) and everything else? theres no way it can how the fuck is it art i mean look man we both go out and bomb... how long does it take u to do hallow toss letters? how long did it take u to come up with somthing girls in 4th grade used to draw i mean dont get my wrong there are alot of SICK tosses out there like my boy dusbe's
    [Broken External Image]:http://img183.exs.cx/img183/8611/P8040098psd.jpg

but is that still art when its compaired with this?

[Broken External Image]:http://img164.exs.cx/img164/4871/p8040093psd2ur.jpg

as for hand styles there no art in them psy made a VERY good point i mean as much as maybe 3 or 4 people say i bit geezpot hand style i had it before i was every on bombing science it evolded from a philly hand style into what it is now... i love my handstyle and alot of other people do too but do i concider it art? fuck no

why cant u be liek all the other mature kids and just say ill agree to disagree but i see your point? you have to be a lil kid and act like what i said offended you

BOTTOM LINE

here some art for u guys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    View attachment 153004
    View attachment 153005
    [Broken External Image]:http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00436930f00000001.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00400884f00000015.jpg

H311 Y3@h D@t5 50m3 k3wl @rt YO!

psh.... please [/b][/quote]
    exactly those people suck, they havce no artistic skill just becxause you do a piece doesnt mean its art it could suck horribly. seriously though ive never respected you on this shit seriously i respect little people on this site they know who they are. fuck you again.

9. glue

glue Elite Member

why does everyone keep saying that it is vandalism!!!

that has nothing to do if it art or not!!
    vandalism can still be art, as art can be vandalism

the question is graffiti art, not is vandalism art. because yes some vandalism is art (graffiti) and some is not (tearing down a statue).

graffiti=art=vandalism=graffiti [/b][/quote]
    yes thats what im saying the fact that graffiti is vandalism has nothing to do with it being art its both.

10. LOSTxTHExFAITH

LOSTxTHExFAITH Senior Member

Fuck my eyes....
    Why are you posting that shit..

11. joust

joust Elite Member

i think your walking a fine line by trying to decide "yes" or "no". Personally, tags are not art, bombs are not art, but peices and productions are. Tags and bombs are ment to just get your name up the the fastest and most noticable way, were as peices and productions require planing, sketches, and knowage of colors (for thoes of us who pay attention to color almost as much as design). I belive that graff is what people make it as well. If your really into it, and you put so much work into everything you do you may personally consiter it art, where as someone who just does it for the hell of it on the side might consiter it just some delinquint thing they do for fun, not art. Its my oppinion that diffrent people interpret what they are doing in diffrent ways, theirfor posing the question art or not doesent really have a answer.

i dident start off doing art with graff. I am a potter at heart and always will be, but i use glase methods on my graff sometimes and the same with my pottery.

im sorry im a terrable speller.

12. Shrink

Shrink Senior Member

"Art Is Whatever You Can Get Away With" Andy Warhol.

Peicing is art. Hell, even bombing is art. By mutating a word into multicolored bubbles with shadows is art. Characters are art.

Tags are like caligraphy. If Caligraphy, which is just writing something fancy, is an art, so is tagging.

If Throw ups were just getting your name out, you could just write the word. No bubbles or coloring, or shading.

It is art.

13. xENDOx

xENDOx Senior Member

I think graff and art are both what you as a indvidual see/think/get from it. Graffiti should not be labeled or put in a genre. It comes down to your opinions and views. Much like life. "To each his own.."

14. dageotb

dageotb Senior Member

once i was at 5ptz at nyc i was painting and a girl ask me for a interview and she ask my i consiter my graff art artistic then i told her no way because i am a true vandal and i destroyed the nyc train with my throw ups and burner then she was so suprised when i made that statment...now these day's graff is know as a low level art form to the city of ny but to me the new school and the back in the day's graffiti artist are respective at all four corner's of the world

15. dageotb

dageotb Senior Member

exactly those people suck, they havce no artistic skill just becxause you do a piece doesnt mean its art it could suck horribly. seriously though ive never respected you on this shit seriously i respect little people on this site they know who they are. fuck you again. [/b][/quote]
    wow that what i call gangsta bombing

16. SoldAsFreedom

SoldAsFreedom Senior Member

Man I just respect you for coming out and telling people to give an explanation when they say "Graffiti is art". Instead of just saying it mindlessely to everybody. Good Job Man.

17. infer one

infer one Elite Member

ok im tired of hereing a whole bunch of toys trying to tell me graffiti is art, personally i think graffiti is vandlism.... im out for the distruction and getting my name up not to do art.... i see nothing artistic about scribles on electrical boxes and tosses on peoples personal stuff... dont get me wrong graffiti takes up a BIG part in my life but yea...

graffiti stoped being art once it was taken out of the ghettos where it made it the dark depressing broken down walls ect. into something colorful and gave kids hope and somthing to do instead of gang banging ect...

but i wanna see everyones view on this, who knows it might even help some people out with doing reports in school.

sorry im such a picky little bitch gesus

18. tre'tre'

tre'tre' Senior Member

gesus those kids are just learning

i mean everyone has to start somewhere

19. infer one

infer one Elite Member

you know whats art?

20. preach

preach Senior Member

i think webster's english dictionary says it all; vandalism is when someone's personal property is damaged or defaced.
    therefore, there's no escaping the fact that yes, graffiti is vandalism!!
    is it art? i think it can be both. if some guy is writing "SKOOL SUX" in a bathroom stall, thats vandalism, if a person breaks a store window, thats vandalism. i guess the answer to if it's art or not is in the eye of the beholder.