Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. preach

preach Senior Member

also, props to gesus for bringing up such an untouched question of values and beliefs

2. DNA

DNA Elite Member

had to go null vote. i mean those drippy tags and bombs on page 1, i dont think are art, but street "art" i think is art becuase it is more likely to brighten a random persons day than a real dirty tag. i mean seriuously people, put yourself in the postion of the average citezen, would you rather see a big clean stencil of a violinist on the corner or a dirty, drippy tag on a electrical box.

3. tre'tre'

tre'tre' Senior Member

4. pSYKAOz

pSYKAOz Elite Member

nice point every1. no i take it back. nice points a select few.
    haha

infer why the hell di u quote gesus' post n retype some parts? with added spelling mistakes? like wtf??? hahaha

but dont go saying my tags arent art. THEY ARE ART. thats not an opinion its a FACT. i made them. my creations are artistic. point finale! maybe yall tags arent art but mine are. so there!

humpf.

hahaha

5. Alchohlics_Anonymous

Alchohlics_Anonymous Elite Member

[/b][/quote]
    exact-a-mundo. :)

6. SLIK

SLIK Senior Member

i would consider graffiti as an art if its a nice burner or production....but come on if scribbles on a wall or even toy tags arent considered arent then why are there murals of scribbles hanging on a museum wall.....or why is a mural made by an elephant considered to be art .... its just splashes of paint on canvas.....thas not art....any retard can do that......so to me graffiti is art and vandalism at the same time....

7. cricket

cricket Elite Member

Well I write because it pisses off my dad

8. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

:lol: SHUT UP TOY IM BETTER THEN YOU ;)

but seriously i do see what your sayimg but there no way i will EVER call toy shit art yo, its just how i am once u get to a certin skill it becomes art till then its ugly

like im sorry yo but if u think toy shits art then i think u might be the one whos being one sided yea i was once a toy a few years ago did i ever consider what i did art no... i still dont think my GRAFF is art i admit other peoples night be heads like seak, totem, daim, daddy cool, i can go on forever with names but im not going to bottom line is toy stuff isnt art i never seen anything from you artwork wise... so i cant really say but if u havnt been writing for awhile u jsut might be blinded by the light... or u might be one of the type of people who sticks up for the lil man which is cool and all but what ever yo.. you and me will jsut have to agree too disagree... but i do want to know how and why u consider toy shit art?..... or if i miss took your post im sorry please make it into simple people terms if thats not what u were saying

9. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

lol first off kid you said it not me

"exactly those people suck, they havce no artistic skill just becxause you do a piece doesnt mean its art it could suck horribly"

so wait if you just totally jsut fucked over what your fighting over..... do that right threre PROVES thats not all graffiti is art.... i win u lose fuck off

"ive never respected you on this shit seriously i respect little people on this site they know who they are. fuck you again"

first off watch your fuckin mouth... i KNOW who i am, my whole city KNOWS who i am so do people other then my city.... just cas some kid in scarbrough(sp) who started graffiti what 2 years ago, dont respect me dont mean shit to me kid i dont care u dont respect me.... im resepcted by people who have been writing for 10 years and other SICK artist why would i fucking care what u think.... fuckin faggot

10. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

i just like to get into convo's where i get to voice my opinion alot

11. pSYKAOz

pSYKAOz Elite Member

i look at my toy ass tags from 3 yrs ago. i see art. i see very toy ass crappy art. but art none the less.

like totem does art no? its cool. but yo compare that to i duno.. .da vinci... hum... totems shit now looks easy n pretty simple... bah he busts pieces in a few days. da vinci spends 8 months on one lil painting. u just cant compare the skill levels... but are both art? figure it out yaselfs.

12. Shyd...

Shyd... Elite Member

art1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ärt)
    n.
    Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
    The study of these activities.
    The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
    High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
    A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
    A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
    A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
    Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).

arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    Artful contrivance; cunning.
    Printing. Illustrative material.

Curdosey(sp) Of: www.Dictionary.com

13. Soar

Soar Member

i got more stuck on defending the priciples of "art" in general that actually this specific thing.. i just thought it was wrong of you to think of art in general like that.. but in this case, it's a fair judgement you have and there's not much more to say that that.

some people here are just fags thou

14. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

was that directed at me?

15. oblong

oblong Elite Member

i need to put some words in. first of all this thread is going great and getting some good discussion going. nice job gesus

alright most people that are old will only consider graffiti that is on paper or in a black book art just becasue it isnt costing them tax dollars to me removed around the city. but ont he other hand i have seen many adults who have complimented on filled throws just because they are amazed on how it happens.

for most adult once something hits the streets in their opinion they start to hate it becasue of the fact it was done illegally but on the other hand if they had seen a production go up they might compliment on the artistic skill and the tallen it took to put it up

i dony know if anyone is getting what im trying to say but i smoked alot of hash last night and i think im still wrecked

feedback!

edit.

dont get me wrong, i love destroying my city and it gets me away from the rest of my life, like school and other things i just dont want to think about at the time.
    i had stated this earier but its still the truth and for most people its what drives them to do graffiti and destroy their city. :)

16. Whoa

Whoa Elite Member

17. shyone

shyone Elite Member

you should rephrase you question, tags arnt art, pieces and stuff are.. just graffiti is to broader term i think

18. Soar

Soar Member

no your cool

19. dageotb

dageotb Senior Member

i hear you bro my girl went out of state and my son had my tags on his note book and her cousin said that was artist art on the note book and my girl look at her as she is crazy!!!!!!yes some writer have very nice hand skill's and real cool throws ups even funky style burner's but i say as it all the same thing every were is art or not to be art that is the real question

20. "LIMIT"

"LIMIT" Senior Member

you should rephrase you question, tags arnt art, pieces and stuff are.. just graffiti is to broader term i think [/b][/quote]
    No, even tags and hands is art, why?, because the handstyle is the most simple representation of graffiti, so, graffiti = art, hands = art.