Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Mixing And Thinning Paint

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by crime gone artistic, Nov 4, 2004.

Share This Page

1. NightStalker

NightStalker Senior Member

Is acrylic latex/latex/alkyd (?) paint any good for thinning and putting it in a mop ?

2. Havoc411

Havoc411 Elite Member

straight arcylic paint might work in a mop(ive seen really watery jares of it but i for got where) idk if it would have any lasting power though.....

3. NightStalker

NightStalker Senior Member

but i once put acrylic metallic paint in a plastic thing and it melted , so the mop should suffer the same fate since i only have kiwi plastic mops

4. 3Y3K0N

3Y3K0N Member

this might not be the right place for it but it was as close as i could get. How does cold weather affect paint cans? Like i keep my cans outside in a toolbox, like during the winter what can happen to the paint cans. Will the paint just thin out or will it get so mess up the pressure or cap or something.

5. edit

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  6. Havoc411

Havoc411 Elite Member

ture that, only use paint in mops

7. Tony

Tony Elite Member

the preasure inside the can will get lower...but it will go back to normal when brought back up to room temperature, thats all.

8. damnbeaner

damnbeaner New Member

hey im new to the game and i was wondering how to make acrylic paint or any type of good ink can someone help me

9. Bass~choker

Bass~choker Senior Member

how to make acrylic paint well no but i and everyoneels on this bored can tell you how to thin it so you can put it in a marker 3/4 silver or alumanum anti rust paint 1/4 minral spirits might want to add a lil more then that but thats what works best in my mop

10. preach

preach Senior Member

this isnt the best advice but when i was filling my first mop i realized i didnt have any thinner so i just added a bunch of water. i thought it to be very stupid at first, but it worked fine. probably not half as good as it wouldve been if i added paint thinner but hey.

11. CL3ver1

CL3ver1 Elite Member

?UESTION im bout to go rack some painters and deco markers...wut would i use to make it more permenant just add brake fluid? or what

thanx -\\//-

12. bumsuckfun

bumsuckfun Elite Member

dont bother adding anything to them, paint isn't very permanent no matter what. if your looking for staying power than dump it out before the paint even touches the nib and fill with nice permanent black or violet ink.

13. anza

anza Senior Member

acrylic or latex paint are thinned best with water, as they are water based. the thinners just don't mix in with those paints. oil based pait and thinners wix well though.

14. bumsuckfun

bumsuckfun Elite Member

haha yeah, people using rubbing alcohol to thin their acrylic paint isnt a good idea... like if your going to thin anything with alcohol you should use Denatured Alcohol (hardware stores) not Rubbing Alcohol, and even so, the only reason it mixes is because Rubbing Alcohol isn't usually pure alcohol, so there will be a bit of a mixing... but yeah, water works better.

and don't even bother using latex, it'll turn to rubbery goo and screw up your marker/mop.

15. realest1

realest1 Member

can you use nail polish remover as paint thinner? :huh:

16. drace

drace Member

lol haha........just find some buket paint liein aroud the house throw some paint thinner in it and bam......or what i doo cause its nice and simple is i jus use waterbased bucket paint so i can just add water instead of like paint thinner and shit you no what i mean?

17. drace

drace Member

i dont think that nail polish is a verry good paint thinner but i have never tryed it so its worth a try lol good luck

18. MitNGEK

MitNGEK Elite Member

am i fu knew nething toy u would twist off the top and make ur own shit to pu tin there

19. spar2

spar2 Guest

I like my paint real thin so I use 50% paint (TREMCLAD BUCKET PAINT) and 50% thinner.

20. Yuckasfuck

Yuckasfuck Senior Member

Who you talking to?
    lol