Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Right to left - Arabic Graffiti

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Phat 2, Jul 27, 2010.

Share This Page

1. PETER

PETER Elite Member

gotta bump this.... I was way excited when I found it and want it to keep going.

2. SECH

SECH Senior Member

3. Don Stone

Don Stone New Member

Fnally this October: Arabic Graffiti book release events in Cairo & Alexandria, Egypt. More info coming soon!!!!!

oh yeah, I forgot that one: gotta love this thread!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  4. PETER

PETER Elite Member

Sech: They are lovely. interpertation?

5. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

hahaha whatup stooooooone. you creepy creepy boii you. you followin me all the way here to bombing science? :p

6. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

7. PETER

PETER Elite Member

I love that top one Phat.

8. ZETA

ZETA Senior Member

phat, those are dope as tits. i like how the dots in the bottom one are holes. clever. and itd be cooler if i could read it... how many letters/characters in the arabic alphabet? or is it like chinese where its near infinite...

9. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

it's 28 letters

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. TBS

TBS Senior Member

really cool and interesting thread. that digi shit looks cool as fuck Phat! seriously COOL AS FUCK!!

11. mace2200

mace2200 Senior Member

WOW. this just gave me so many ideas

12. SiteGraff

SiteGraff Senior Member

wicked awesome shapes, theres a lot of dope stuff in here but i cant read arabic so....

13. SECH

SECH Senior Member

14. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

addition of opinions of arabic scribes; typography/graffiti relation

I've often thought of Arabic Scribes as some original graffiti writers, on the typographical tip anyway... It's JBs understanding that Islam prevents realism in art, so thats why I've seen the intricate carvings at mosques and in Moorish Spain (Andalusia --> Al-Andalus --> 'Land of the Vandals' ??), not to mention artistic script...

Those are dope SECH, in 2005 I bought 5 or so books on Arabic, thinking I'd learn it... I lost the best one (along with my motivation; http://www.amazon.com/The-Arabic-Al...4302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338657838&sr=8-1) and a cool right-to-left one in the style of a kid's handwriting teaching book... I might give it another shot sometime, just for the sake of the letters, I don't think I have the discipline to learn the actual language

my attempt did introduce me to the interesting fact that in certain languages, sounds are made which English speakers simply don't and sometimes can't use... in Arabic :):breaks out one of the books::) for example, the difference between uhmm... shit, can't find the corresponding letters, but I'll just say; the idea that the difference between a coughing/hacking sound and just more of an exhalation sound can change the meaning of a word... very interesting!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  15. ven0m

ven0m or Phat2

16. Norfsuthr

Norfsuthr Elite Member

17. ven0m

ven0m or Phat2

good stuff... a few things to be fixed here and there, but def pulled it off successfully for someone who (probably) doesn't write arabic.

18. Zorastra*N8r

Zorastra*N8r Member

that beirut tahki is really chill for someone that prob doesnt write arabic. never even knew there was section for arabic graf.
    Usually arabic graf would be long cuz it could take up to 3-4 letters to be able to pronounce 1 letter in english alphabet.
    words like hello for ex. could be around 12 letters.

19. ven0m

ven0m or Phat2

lol dude u need to update your knowledge.
    first, I'm an arab. I speak and write arabic. fluently.
    second, there's no such thing as 3-4 letters = 1 letter in english. if anything it's the other way around.
    AT MOST, you'll find one arabic letter that's equivalent to 2 latin ones and that's the longest you can find. all arabic letters have ONE single latin equivalent for spelling. except 4 or 5 exceptions that are "throat sounds" (those dont exist in the english alphabet of course) in which case they are substituted with 2 english letters. and that's all.

and 3rd, the arabic "hello" has 5 letters too. not 12.
    and if you dontt want to translate it and just phonetically transpose it, it'll be 3 letters only. (shorter than the original)

don't think that I'm attacking you bro. just correcting a few things for ya. hope my approach didnt bother ya :)

peace