Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Ink Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Enmity, Feb 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. TASR

TASR Banned

THese "chemical stains" like meth. blue can be found in art stores right?

2. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

probly not, i could be wrong tho. meth blue is available at pool places i beleive...

Any who, whos the chemist here? I have found that a rubber cement thinner that my store carries is N-Heptane, after researching it i found that it is the zero point of the octane scale, and that when you dizzolve iodione into it it alters the chemical properties of the iodine which then turns purple. So my question is do you think this would be a strong base for a pen ink recipe rather than alcohol (the heptane) ? and also would this purple iodine be a good staining agent if dizzolved and concentrated? and would this have any ill effects if say a petroleum dissolet was added such as dot 3?

also on a random note is the rit dye concentrate any good?

About to make a new large scale batch of ink and if any one has any idea about my questions or think the combination of the above would make a strong ink lemme know. other wise ill just try it out and hope it works..

3. SIKFUCK

SIKFUCK Senior Member

Dude whaaaaa thhaaaaa fuhhh did u jus sayyy??^^^^
    Mybe Im jus dumb and its very possible buh hmmm...

4. alexhate

alexhate Senior Member

i have played with liquid and powder rit dyes,found both of them to be a waste.

i could be wrong,

but atleast with the liquid you dye it in the washer, and it dus nothing to it.

5. Cesk

Cesk Banned

Meth blue is found in any pet store, in a convinient drop-bottle. Costs like 1.40 at the most.

6. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea pet stores have meth blue and malachite green.

7. sully654

sully654 Banned

8. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

Mrs. Stewart's Bluing

Methylene Blue found at most grocery stores in the detergent aisle, that most people have failed to realize.

9. Logicless

Logicless Senior Member

Oh yea I talked to oink and he didn't pay
    250 an hour not even close to it and he got
    it for the whole day cause he knew the guy.

Back on point MB in grocery/pet stores is
    not good, its only like 10% MB or less. Then
    the rest is water. Also it is expensive as
    fuck for watered down MB.

10. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

^all methylene blue in aqueous solutions is 10% or less. Gentian violet is only 1% in topical solutions, but its still good

11. Logicless

Logicless Senior Member

10% MB and 90% water.
    No its not really that good though.
    It might help a little but barely any.

12. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

pretty sure ive used this stuff before...and if your really worried you can evaporate iy and get the crystals. You shouldn't be buying your stuff, so the price should nto be a problem, and methylene blue crystals aren't even very soluble in alcohol, so its a lot better in a water solution, then added to inks

13. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Its called chemistry my friend. Just with out the fancy numbers and letters

So rit dye sucks...ok well any ideas on this? H3TT1NG3R? Biz?

Any who, whos the chemist here? I have found that a rubber cement thinner that my store carries is N-Heptane, after researching it i found that it is the zero point of the octane scale, and that when you dizzolve iodione into it it alters the chemical properties of the iodine which then turns purple. So my question is do you think this would be a strong base for a pen ink recipe rather than alcohol (the heptane) any better than naptha? and also would this purple iodine be a good staining agent if dizzolved and concentrated? and would this have any ill effects if say a petroleum dissolet was added such as dot 3?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  14. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

^well rit dye creates alot of bubbles, which is why its bad. and heptane is a really good solvent, idk if it can dissolve pen ink, ik its non-polar, so it won't bead up easily. and although the iodine turns purple, its just liek whne you add sugar, it still will leave a yellow stain, but it'll proly be good just for extra color

15. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

ahh well alrighty. ill give it a whirl and see how it goes, ill start small. thanks. Would adding a petroleum dissolet be of any use or is there pretty much no point when using something other than alcohol?

What is around that will lend an anti UV property?

16. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

idk addign pigments is good for non-fading. anyone know the main ingredient in sun screen? try addign taht if its obtainable. And whats petroluem dissolet? distillates? thats just a general term for anything coming from crude oil, liek naphtha, paint thinner, mineral spirits ect.

17. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

yes dissolates lol well i meant like would there be a point to adding something like dot 3 or the like to make it dry slower if it were based with something like naptha or heptane

18. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

if you put stainers in it yes.

19. TASR

TASR Banned

So if I wanted 100% MB id have to buy rack 10 bottles and dry the shit out?

20. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea, but then if you add it to your inks, not much will dissolve at all, so its best if you put a little water on it, then add it