Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This is a read for anyone painting trains!

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by underworld busboy, May 3, 2004.

Share This Page

1. hammer_time

hammer_time Banned

2. simple zen

simple zen Elite Member

so if push comes to shove and they see me walking the track and police get involved, could i just say that i was walking to get to road X or whatever the fuck? i could say i didn't know because the trespassing signs were tagged up. idk... but i do this frequently, in the middle of the day. take a bus to the tracks, drink a brew, smoke an L, smoke a port, look at graff...

3. hammer_time

hammer_time Banned

thats basically what i have said the couple times ive been asked. We have a foot bridge that goes over the yard, and i told em' i was just too lazy to walk all the way to the proper crossing, and i was told to be careful, i informed him i always am, he told me to have a good evening...
    as for the signs, you didnt see em'. Just be a stand up guy and they'll probably be pretty cool.

4. simple zen

simple zen Elite Member

i just wouldn't want the tracks getting heated because i chill around there sometimes during the day. i love watching trains go by, smelling the metal. too bad most of the trains are tri rail shit trains and not freights.

5. olive

olive Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  6. Baron

Baron Moderator

Hey ive been to the tracks around here a few times but its not a station or a docking yard its a depot. The trains come in and go out, sometimes in under an hour. Its busy all hours of the day it seems like. So i have the question, how often are thses patroled? I haven't seen any patrols roaming them when i go there but there are tire tracks of the bulls on one side of the tracks.

7. framin-It

framin-It Senior Member

in my experince, know your yard, know ways in out, what time people walk the track and try to get an idea when the ferights leave, and come in. just be smart with it. start with hands, and then some throws on them, then when you know your yard, pieces them.

8. immoral

immoral Elite Member

I have a local yard not too far from me with well over a thousand freights in it at one time in anygiven day.

Luckily I've had experience before with train lines and there is no evidence of a soul that has once painted there before.

The only problem with the place is the constant bombarding of trains left and right.
    I can say that they are right when they say hold on tight when crossing over the ladders.
    I almost fell inbetween two freight cars when crossing over, luckily I was far enough over that I just fell down to the ground away from the cars.

It surely gave me a scare and out of respect, I went and killed the yard and just did tags and throws throughout a period of eight hours.

Paint safe

9. immoral

immoral Elite Member

The best thing to do in this situation is to go with nothing but a camera and maybe a solified if you want.
    Just bench the yard the whole day and check out the scene and take notes.
    Literally bring pen and paper.

Also, unless someone wants to for me, I'll post a chart of what the train horns mean when they sound off in spurts and repititions.

10. Sadistic.Child

Sadistic.Child Elite Member

please post that horn shit

11. immoral

immoral Elite Member

Signals are illustrated by an "o" for short sounds, and "-" for longer sounds.

Sequence What it means
    Succession of short sounds Used when an emergency exists, or if persons or livestock are on the track.
    – When train is stopped. The air brakes are applied and pressure is equalized.
    – – Train releases brakes and proceeds.
    o o Acknowledgment of any signal not otherwise provided for.
    o o o When train is stopped: means backing up, or acknowledgment of a hand signal to back up.
    o o o o Request for a signal to be given or repeated if not understood.
    – o o o Instruction for flagman to protect rear of train.
    – – – – Flagman return from the west or south.
    – – – – – Flagman return from the east or north.
    – – o – Train is approaching public grade crossing(s). This is known as Rule 14L in almost all railroad operating rules.
    – o Inspect the brake system for leaks or sticking brakes.

[edit] Other whistle codes
    Not all railroads use the exact same whistle signals or assign the same meanings. Some railroads will use their own variations of the above. A few of the signals are obsolete because the workers they were used to communicate with (such as flagman) are now obsolete.

In Norway, for example, the following whistle signals are used:

One short: Stand by or general acknowledgment.
    Two short: Apply/increase manual brakes.
    Three short: Apply manual brakes to stop the train as soon as possible.
    One long: Approaching railroad station or blind curve.
    One long, one short: Decrease manual brakes. When repeated, decrease brakes fully.
    One long, two short: Prepared for change of tracks, crossing and/or other situations that necessitates a gentle approach.
    Multiple short: Danger.
    In Finland, the following are some of the signals used:

One short: Engine is starting forward.
    Two short: Engine about to run backwards.
    One long, one short: Warning, used before arriving to a crossing.
    Three long: Danger.

12. noxi

noxi Elite Member

Thats some good shit. Good post.

13. immoral

immoral Elite Member

Thank you

I memorised that chart so now everytime I am in the yards I know what the train I am painting is doing, or about to do
    It really comes in handy when out there in the middle of a yard =]

14. PAWS85

PAWS85 Member

are those train signals international? I live in south africa and bombing trains is mad, for example in the us if u get caught bombing trains u get a fat fine, not sure if im right but in sa if u get as much as spotted by a security guard they shoot at u...... and whoeva said dont put up throwies on a train, go to hell, there no rules to bombing trains, if u like wat i put up then thanx, if u dont then fuck u i dont care, its more along the lines of that...... peace

ps here r some bombed trains from sa
    mostly riot's work

Attached Files:

15. fi50

fi50 Member

y do ppl in the us just paint freights, y not passenger trains also, commuter trains is were its at..

16. dahub.com.au

dahub.com.au New Member

As if you would steal that from an American forum.

What kind of toy ass biting is that?

17. PeeInTheShower

PeeInTheShower Elite Member

because it's not worth getting arrested for something that's going to get cleaned in two days tops.

18. planetaryduality

planetaryduality Senior Member

only got freights in the sticks

19. Terrible N

Terrible N Banned

Shit depends on where you live. NY or Chi-Town or pretty much all of the US will clean it off. Europe seems to have a problem,though. I'd take advantage of it.

20. JayAyDubZed

JayAyDubZed Senior Member

Don't be so judgmental about hobos haha.
    I went to the tracks not so long ago and there was one sleeping there and he woke up and look at us then went back to sleep.
    Not a problem.