Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Writing And Your Health

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DC Diesel, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

1. pogopope

pogopope Senior Member

being healthy is dying the slowest :p

2. DjTerrestrialConcept

DjTerrestrialConcept Elite Member

I didnt mean that double post... My comp iz being a bitch!

3. "LIMIT"

"LIMIT" Senior Member

I dont use spray cans at all, and I read there that some markers do the same effects as the cans, so, do the decocolors and Pilots do that too?

4. oblong

oblong Elite Member

that was very informative
    i always wear one when i paint pieces

5. cyens

cyens Senior Member

Aight this was my secret but here, I'll tell anyways
    when i was 17 and still a toy i was painting all the time in my room and my best friends room also, and this abandoned factory next door ( no body knew about it but me ) all this WITHOUT A MASK

when I hited 19, going up 4 floors at school i was exhausted like I ran the marathon....I had major backs pains due to coughing all the mother fucking time, and my phlegm was a different color everytimes....once i painted inside, and I coughed a major piece of blood for a week.....

I when to the doctor since I had so much problem breathing...He told me I had asthma...sended me to the hospital....got an apointement to scan my lungs....my lungs got metal particules ( paint pigments )
    aight so for 2 years I took those mother fucken pump that would clear my lungs from this crap...now I fucken happy to see when i cough that my plegm is white...but yes, my lungs arent in the greatest shape..and i dunno whats happening because i havent been to the hospital since...I can breath better, but not as good as before....
    aslo that when i was 17 to 19 i was smoking cigarettes hardcore....but the doctor at the hospital said that it wasnt the cigarrettes it was the paint...even if cigarrettes doesnt help

Now I always wear a mask when I spray paint..but also, from this comes my love for markals and monikers, no toxic fumes!

so...I dont care what you do with your life, but wear a good mask before you regeret it

6. cyens

cyens Senior Member

PS: girls lungs are smaller so spray paint affects it more and faster

7. cyens

cyens Senior Member

What are xylenes?
    Xylene is a colorless, sweet-smelling liquid that catches on fire easily. It occurs naturally in petroleum and coal tar and is formed during forest fires. You can smell xylene in air at 0.08-3.7 parts of xylene per million parts of air (ppm) and begin to taste it in water at 0.53-1.8 ppm.

Chemical industries produce xylene from petroleum. It's one of the top 30 chemicals produced in the United States in terms of volume.

Xylene is used as a solvent and in the printing, rubber, and leather industries. It is also used as a cleaning agent, a thinner for paint, and in paints and varnishes. It is found in small amounts in airplane fuel and gasoline.

What happens to xylenes when they enter the environment?
    Xylene has been found in waste sites and landfills when discarded as used solvent, or in varnish, paint, or paint thinners.
    It evaporates quickly from the soil and surface water into the air.
    In the air, it is broken down by sunlight into other less harmful chemicals.
    It is broken down by microorganisms in soil and water.
    Only a small amount of it builds up in fish, shellfish, plants, and animals living in xylene-contaminated water.

How might I be exposed to xylenes?
    Breathing xylene in workplace air or in automobile exhaust.
    Breathing contaminated air.
    Touching gasoline, paint, paint removers, varnish, shellac, and rust preventatives that contain it.
    Breathing cigarette smoke that has small amounts of xylene in it.
    Drinking contaminated water or breathing air near waste sites and landfills that contain xylene.
    The amount of xylene in food is likely to be low.

How can xylenes affect my health?
    Xylene affects the brain. High levels from exposure for short periods (14 days or less) or long periods (more than 1 year) can cause headaches, lack of muscle coordination, dizziness, confusion, and changes in one's sense of balance. Exposure of people to high levels of xylene for short periods can also cause irritation of the skin, eyes, nose, and throat; difficulty in breathing; problems with the lungs; delayed reaction time; memory difficulties; stomach discomfort; and possibly changes in the liver and kidneys. It can cause unconsciousness and even death at very high levels.
    Studies of unborn animals indicate that high concentrations of xylene may cause increased numbers of deaths, and delayed growth and development. In many instances, these same concentrations also cause damage to the mothers. We do not know if xylene harms the unborn child if the mother is exposed to low levels of xylene during pregnancy
    Human and animal studies have not shown xylene to be carcinogenic, but these studies are not conclusive and do not provide enough information to conclude that xylene does not cause cancer.

Is there a medical test to show whether I've been exposed to xylenes?
    Laboratory tests can detect xylene or its breakdown products in exhaled air, blood, or urine. There is a high degree of agreement between the levels of exposure to xylene and the levels of xylene breakdown products in the urine. However, a urine sample must be provided very soon after exposure ends because xylene quickly leaves the body. These tests are not routinely available at your doctor's office.

8. pSYKAOz

pSYKAOz Elite Member

yup they do... inks make me get more sick then paint... well like if i drop it on my skin i mean

9. bigbomba'

bigbomba' Elite Member

That shit tru! paint fumes will fuck you up...

10. cyens

cyens Senior Member

Paints health sheets

Brand Name: Krylon Interior/Exterior Paint, 1502 Flat White
    Form: aerosol
    Warning from
    Product Label: Danger! Extremely flammable. Do not spray near sparks, heat or open flame. Vapors will accumulate readily and may ignite explosively. Keep area ventilated during use and until all vapors are gone. DO NOT SMOKE. Extinguish all flames, pilot lights and heaters. Turn off stoves, electric tools and appliances and any other sources of ignition. CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight or heat from radiators, stoves, hot water and other heat sources that may cause bursting. Do not puncture, incinerate, burn or store above 120oF. Do not discard empty can in home garbage compactor. Caution! contains ketones, xylene. Formula contains no lead, no chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). No methylene chloride. Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Vapor Harmful. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid continuous breathing of vapor and spray mist. To avoid breathing vapor or spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH/MSHA TC 23 or equivalent) or leave the area. HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. NOTICE Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling contents may be harmful or fatal. Keep away from children.
    Acute Health Effects: From MSDS

ROUTES OF EXPOSURE
    Exposure may be by INHALATION and/or SKIN or EYE contact, depending on
    conditions of use.

EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE
    Irritation of eyes, skin and upper respiratory system. May cause nervous system depression. Extreme overexposure may result in unconsciousness and possibly death.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF OVEREXPOSURE
    Headache, dizziness, nausea, and loss of coordination are indications of excessive exposure to vapors or spray mists. Redness and itching or burning sensation may indicate eye or excessive skin exposure.

Chronic Health Effects: MSDS:
    Prolonged overexposure to solvent ingredients may cause adverse effects to the liver, urinary, blood forming and reproductive systems. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage.

Carcinogenicity: MSDS:
    Ethylbenzene is classified by IARC as possibly carcinogenic to humans (2B) based on inadequate evidence in humans and sufficient evidence in laboratory animals. Lifetime inhalation exposure of rats and mice to high ethylbenzene concentrations resulted in increases in certain types of cancer, including kidney tumors in rats and lung and liver tumors in mice. These effects were not observed in animals exposed to lower concentrations. There is no evidence that ethylbenzene causes cancer in humans. Methyl Ethyl Ketone may increase the nervous system effects of other solvents.

First Aid: FIRST AID

If INHALED: If affected, remove from exposure. Restore breathing. Keep warm and quiet.
    If on SKIN: Wash affected area thoroughly with soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing and launder before re-use.
    If in EYES: Flush eyes with large amounts of water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention.
    If SWALLOWED: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately.

Health Rating: *2
    Flammability Rating: 4
    Reactivity Rating: 0
    HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;
    N = No information provided by manufacturer; * = Chronic Health Hazard
    MSDS Date: 2002-11-27

Handling/Disposal
    Handling: MSDS:
    Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Vapors will accumulate
    readily and may ignite explosively. During use and until all vapors are gone: Keep area ventilated - Do not smoke - Extinguish all flames, pilot lights, and heaters - Turn off stoves, electric tools and appliances, and any other sources of ignition. Contents under pressure. Do not puncture, incinerate, or expose to temperature above 120F. Heat from sunlight, radiators, stoves, hot water,
    and other heat sources could cause container to burst. Do not take internally. Keep out of the reach of children.

Disposal: MSDS:
    Do not incinerate. Depressurize container. Dispose of in accordance with Federal, State, and Local regulations regarding pollution.

Ingredients from MSDS/Label
    Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
    Butane 000106-97-8 6
    Propane 000074-98-6 14
    Titanium dioxide 013463-67-7 7
    Xylene (mixed isomers) 001330-20-7 7
    Ethylbenzene 000100-41-4 1
    Acetone 000067-64-1 41
    Methyl ethyl ketone 000078-93-3 4
    Butanol 000071-36-3 1
    1-Methoxy-2-propanol acetate 000108-65-6 7
    Silica gel 112926-00-8 1

Rust Oleum Premium red

Warning from
    Product Label: Extremely flammable liquid and vapors. Vapors may cause flash fire. Contents under pressure.
    Contains Acetone, Toluene and Xylene. Vapor harmful. May affect brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Harmful if swallowed.
    Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with premature brain and nervous system damage. Do not breathe vapors, spray mist, sanding dust or overspray. To avoid breathing vapors or spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application or drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air or wear respiratory protection or leave area. Follow respirator manufacturer's directions for respirator use. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Vapors may ignite explosively. Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights, and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. Do not smoke. Use only with adequate ventilation. Prevent build-up of vapors by opening all windows and doors to achieve cross-ventilation. Do not expose to heat or store at temperatures above 120 degrees F. Exposure to heat or prolonged exposure to sun may cause bursting. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Replace cap after each use. This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Keep out of reach of children. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.

Acute Health Effects: From MSDS:

EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - EYE CONTACT: Causes eye irritation.
    EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - SKIN CONTACT: Substance may cause slight skin irritation. Prolonged or repeated contact may cause skin irritation.
    EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - INHALATION: Harmful if inhaled. High gas, vapor, mist or dust concentrations may be harmful if inhaled. Avoid breathing vapors or mists. High vapor concentrations are irritating to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.
    EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - INGESTION: Substance may be harmful if swallowed. Aspiration hazard if swallowed; can enter lungs and cause damage.

PRIMARY ROUTE(S) OF ENTRY: INHALATION, EYE CONTACT

Chronic Health Effects: MSDS:
    May cause central nervous system disorder (e.g., narcosis involving a loss of coordination, weakness, fatigue, mental confusion, and blurred vision) and/or damage. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Overexposure to toluene in laboratory animals has been associated with liver abnormalities, kidney, lung and spleen damage. Effects in humans have included liver and cardiac abnormalities. Contains a Cobalt compound.

Carcinogenicity: MSDS:
    Contains a Cobalt compound. IARC lists Cobalt and Cobalt compounds as as possible human carcinogens (group 2B). However, there is inadequate evidence of the carcinogenicity of cobalt and cobalt compounds in humans and limited evidence in experimental animals.

First Aid: FIRST AID

EYE CONTACT: Hold eyelids apart and flush with plenty of water for at lease 15 minutes. Get medical attention.
    SKIN CONTACT: Wash with soap and water. Get medical attention if irritation develops or persists.
    INHALATION: If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance immediately.
    INGESTION: Aspiration hazard: Do not induce vomiting or give anything by mouth because this material can enter the lungs and cause severe lung damage. Get immediate medical attention.

Health Rating: *2
    Reactivity Rating: 0
    HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;
    MSDS Date: 2000-06-28

Handling/Disposal
    Handling: MSDS:
    Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Follow all MSDS/label precautions even after container is emptied because it may retain product residues. Avoid breathing vapor or mist.
    Keep containers tightly closed. Isolate from heat, electrical equipment, sparks and open flame. Do not store above 120 degrees F. Contents under pressure. Do not expose to heat or store above 120 degrees F.

Disposal: MSDS:
    Dispose of material in accordance to local, state and federal regulations and ordinances. Do not allow to enter storm drains or sewer systems.

Titanium dioxide 013463-67-7 5
    Xylene (mixed isomers) 001330-20-7 10
    Ethylbenzene 000100-41-4 5
    Acetone 000067-64-1 20
    Toluene 000108-88-3 25
    Petroleum gases, liquefied 068476-85-7 30
    Cobalt carboxylate(s) 000000-25-0 1

Krylon Industrial Maintenance Metallic Paint, Bright Silver
    Warning from
    Product Label: Extremely flammable. Contents under pressure. Vapors may cause flash fire. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Vapor harmful. Do not spray near sparks, heat or open flame. Vapors will accumulate readily and may ignite explosively. Ventilate area during use and until all vapors are gone. Do not smoke. Extinguish sources of ignition. Contents under pressure. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight. Heating may cause bursting. Do not puncture, incinerate, burn or store above 120 degrees F. Do not discard empty can in home garbage compactor. Contains acetone, hydrocarbon propellants, xylene, ketones, toluene and petroleum distillates. This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Cause eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid continuous breathing of vapor and spray mist. To avoid breathing vapors or spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying or for cross ventilation. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase respiratory protection. (NIOSH TC23C or equivalent) or leave the area. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Wash skin thoroughly after handling. If swallowed do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention or contact a poison control center immediately. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal. Keep out of reach of children.
    Acute Health Effects: From MSDS:
    ROUTES OF EXPOSURE
    Exposure may be by INHALATION and/or SKIN or EYE contact, depending on
    conditions of use. To minimize exposure, follow recommendations for proper
    use, ventilation, and personal protective equipment.

ACUTE Health Hazards
    EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE
    Irritation of eyes, skin and respiratory system. May cause nervous system depression. Extreme overexposure may result in unconsciousness and
    possibly death.
    SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF OVEREXPOSURE
    Headache, dizziness, nausea, and loss of coordination are indications of
    excessive exposure to vapors or spray mists. Redness and itching or burning sensation may indicate eye or excessive skin exposure.

MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE
    None generally recognized.

Chronic Health Effects: MSDS: CHRONIC Health Hazards
    CHRONIC Health Hazards
    No ingredient in these products is an IARC, NTP or OSHA listed carcinogen.
    Prolonged overexposure to solvent ingredients in Section 2 may cause adverse effects to the liver, urinary, cardiovascular and reproductive systems.
    Reports have associated repeated and prolonged overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65
    WARNING: These products contain chemicals known to the State of
    California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Carcinogenicity: MSDS: No ingredient in these products is an IARC, NTP or OSHA listed carcinogen.
    First Aid: MSDS: EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES
    If INHALED: If affected, remove from exposure. Restore breathing.
    Keep warm and quiet.
    If on SKIN: Wash affected area thoroughly with soap and water.
    Remove contaminated clothing and launder before re-use.
    If in EYES: Flush eyes with large amounts of water for 15 minutes.
    Get medical attention.
    If SWALLOWED: Do not induce vomiting.
    Get medical attention immediately.

Health Rating: 2
    Reactivity Rating: 1
    MSDS Date: 2000-07-31

Handling/Disposal
    Handling: MSDS: PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN HANDLING AND STORING
    Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Vapors will accumulate
    readily and may ignite explosively. During use and until all vapors are gone: Keep area ventilated - Do not smoke - Extinguish all flames, pilot lights, and heaters - Turn off stoves, electric tools and appliances, and any other sources of ignition.
    Consult NFPA Code. Use approved Bonding and Grounding procedures.
    Contents under pressure. Do not puncture, incinerate, or expose to
    temperature above 120F. Heat from sunlight, radiators, stoves, hot water,
    and other heat sources could cause container to burst. Do not take internally. Keep out of the reach of children.
    OTHER PRECAUTIONS
    Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the
    contents can be harmful or fatal.

Disposal: MSDS: WASTE DISPOSAL METHOD
    Do not incinerate. Depressurize container. Dispose of in accordance
    with Federal, State, and Local regulations regarding pollution.

Acetone 000067-64-1 47
    Propane 000074-98-6 18
    Toluene 000108-88-3 4
    Xylene (mixed isomers) 001330-20-7 4
    Solvent naphtha, petroleum, medium aliphatic 064742-88-7 1
    Solvent naphtha, petroleum, light aliphatic 064742-89-8 17

FOR MORE INFO ON ALL THE SPRAY PAINT

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-b...ousehold/search

HERE

11. cyens

cyens Senior Member

12. Seek

Seek Member

I don't piece too often but when i do I wear one of those dust mask things. not the cheap flimsy ones that a doc would wear but one of the ones with a plastic casing. they are still pretty cheap. probably don't help much but they gotta filter out some shit.

read on some spraycans that the chems inside can make you impotent. i guess that is some serious shit. will def invest in a respirator for this summer.

Peace.

13. CaptSnuffy

CaptSnuffy Senior Member

On montana's site they say their spray paint is 100% non-toxic but you still need to wear a mask to filter out the paint you might inhale... so i guess that makes it somwhat better for you (not that it's at all good for you) but if you get up often then it might be too expensive to use montana. If i had any montana paint in my area then i'd probably use that but i guess it's dumb to use montana just for helath reason; i mean, pay like 5 bucks a can for every can you buy or spend like 15 bucks on a resp (or you could rack one).

14. Ravek

Ravek Elite Member

i find that painting with krylon and no mask makes me paint sick so i hate it, rusto doesn't so i like it more

15. juc}}

juc}} Member

dam i never really stopped to think about that stuff. but thnx ill start wearing a mask :(

16. mplskid

mplskid Senior Member

what r u supposed to do with the mask when its no in use?
    i have 3m 5000 series

17. cyens

cyens Senior Member

put your mask in a tupperwear or a ziplock bag

18. vegimite on toast

vegimite on toast Elite Member

Good posts cyens. The thing at the start of the thread has been posted about 5 times.

19. "awesome"ONE

"awesome"ONE Elite Member

shut up, and on the topic of fumes it's so simple wear a mask, usually you don't need to though if your in a well ventilated space, like if i'm outside painting without a mask I can't smell a thing unless i'm right up against the paint. Indoors is where you wear a mask obviously.

20. bigbomba'

bigbomba' Elite Member

Yea i always were my resp even if its a hunk of shit its better then nothin'
    i think a lot of ppl over look the fumes when painting