Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Zossqo

Zossqo Senior Member

Don't.

2. ZenithONE

ZenithONE Senior Member

Like just stick to block letters?

3. Zossqo

Zossqo Senior Member

Exactly but make sure you can make them look good you dont need fancy letters to make a piece look nice

4. ZenithONE

ZenithONE Senior Member

How's this?
    IMG_0458[1].jpg
    Sorry for the shitty picture

5. Zossqo

Zossqo Senior Member

You've got 3 capital letters and then the random lower case I the N is too squished and the top of the spine of the R is too wide. Either do all capitals or all lowercase. Also study what bars are. Go to the new to graffiti thread and read

6. ZenithONE

ZenithONE Senior Member

Again, sorry about the crappy pic

I read through the whole thread and really looked over the parts about the bars.
    I tried working through the steps but I think I may have been getting a bit ahead of myself.
    What do you think?

IMG_0459[1].jpg

7. Zossqo

Zossqo Senior Member

Thats not too bad now do the letters simpler and get yours bars to a consistent width. Before adding any extensions

8. ZenithONE

ZenithONE Senior Member

I tried to stay consistent within each piece but i messed around with thicknesses to see what i like
    1 - medium
    2 - skinny
    3 - fat
    4 - super fat IMG_0460[1].jpg

i like 3 the best

9. Zossqo

Zossqo Senior Member

Those are looking a lot better, now you're getting somewhere. You should improve a whole lot if you just keep practicing with bars. Belive me they help alot

10. osber

osber Senior Member

I agree with zossqo

You will get further working on basic shapes of letters than twisting them into shapes and tweaking them around. Anyone can draw wavy & zigzag lines and arrows and things sticking off of things but making letters sequentially uniform and in the same style is mastery of the art. All the oldass guys who originally cut fonts for printing press typeblocks were badasses and masters of an art, and im sure they apprenticed for years.

You should also find some artists you like. I like Hieronymus Bosch, Robert Indiana, José Clemente Orozco, Frank Stella, and Jeff Kunz for a few...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  11. retro-one

retro-one Member

Heading in the right direction there zenith, keep working on those simple drawings, as they will lead to better works in due time.

Another work sketch, not diggin the I this time around, too much dead space imo.
    image.jpg

12. osber

osber Senior Member

Retro, I wanna see what happens when you go all curves, and make the I 's center out of 2 of that hook you ditched.

13. retro-one

retro-one Member

Challenge accepted, now what do you mean by "that hook you ditched"?

14. osber

osber Senior Member

That hook thing. It sticks out like a sore thumb because it's the most extreme curve in a pile of straight lines

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  15. ZenithONE

ZenithONE Senior Member

I did this on a canvas cause I picked up 7 for $20 but I didn't know where else to post it image.jpg

16. bugs-one

bugs-one Elite Member

^^^ You should close the top of your R. That star in the A is not helping. The bottom of the I looks wrong. That extension on the botoom of the N is a no. You should have added a 3D or at least a drop shadow. And those drips, NO. Other than that keep practicing your letter structure

17. baabo123

baabo123 Member

1415270267511-440198210.jpg
    1415270299544-1431591157.jpg what do you think just messing with couple pens and one marker??

18. osber

osber Senior Member

Whats the b r and e doing that none of the other letters are? ;)

19. baabo123

baabo123 Member

I dont know ;D how could i make them flow? Should i change my name cause the u is hard to make it flow? And what do you think about my throw up?

20. osber

osber Senior Member

Naw just cut them all somewhere n itll flow better. Also its topheavy on the left because the b and r have the same top and after that its flat. And the arrow on the e, kill that. Maybe try a similar form to the pinched off ends you have going on the tops of the b and r