Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

I know this is slopy but i have mainly worked on tags and throw ups. I would like some crits as well as something i did well.
    20170614_212604.jpg

2. nZane

nZane Senior Member

The vertical bar of the H is too high. Structure is nice, but you used too many lines for each stroke itself. Do it bigger and show the results!

20170614_220920[1].jpg

3. lse292

lse292 Senior Member

4. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

Ise, don't try and make it fancy yet, you still need better letter structure. The "R" needs the most work. Keep going!

5. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

How did this come out Nzane? 20170615_190340.jpg

6. TanZ

TanZ Senior Member

I have an example of my basic tag concept here, although I'm a bit worried about the T.
    TANZ!1.jpg

On top of that, I keep trying to improve on my handstyle, but this is basically what it boils down to:
    20170613_032102.jpg

Haha, yeah. My next step will be to eventually get a lined notebook for practice until I can get my shit to not look so pathetically wonky.

7. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

20170615_213016.jpg

Nzane am i getting slightly better with this? Lol

also tanz try just writing very simple. Dont add style just keep doing it over and over and you will natrualy get style.

8. TanZ

TanZ Senior Member

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I'll try simple for a few pages and see if that eases up on the weirdness going on.

As for yours, I think you're starting to get the letters, but as for the attempts at outline and what I saw on your 3d, it looks like you might want to focus on making sure everything is going the same way, if you follow. It looks like you're trying to get the letters to all fit on basically a straight line, but you may be using your wrist too much, and hence the little curves like you see on the bottom of that E in the newest one. Try keeping your wrist stiff and keep your eye on where you want the line to end rather than following where your marker tip is, since due to the way the eye is shaped, following any sort of line in progress will cause a visual curve. It's a complicated scientific-biological-thing, but yeah.

Also, it may have been far too ambitious, but I did attempt a two-point perspective with some pens. It looks better than most other shit I've done so far.
    20170613_132937.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  9. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

Thanks for the tip tanz and yeah my main problem is keeping a straight line. As for you, please try doing just basic block buster letters. Do the same thing that i am doing, cause once you have mastered the very basics, it will be easy to add style. Try and copy keyboard letters, with no style at all. It is harder than you may think. I feel you are not to the point were you can go to crazy with the letters. To be honest neither am i. However you got a good attitude to improve, and thats how you become a great artist.

10. TanZ

TanZ Senior Member

After messing around and just trying to write the letters without the block, I think I've found my problem: I tend to decrescendo my size as I continue to write. Here, this should give you an idea of what I mean:

20170616_165108.jpg

Sorry if the contrast is a little weird; I work in a dark room. It's more comfortable for me. I just didn't have my flash on for this shot.
    Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for how to fix that basic problem before I even try moving on to block letters? Because switching to lined or graph paper doesn't really seem like it'll help me keep it straight on a wall or electric box.

11. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

I don't really know what you mean, all i can say is don't rush this. Keep things basic and keep posting here. As for you tagging out side, make sure you are decent on paper first. What tools are you planning on using to go out?

12. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

Tanz i did some tags for you, i thought maybe you could get some ideas.
    20170617_001548.jpg 20170617_001240.jpg

13. bugs-one

bugs-one Elite Member

Bi-Weekly Battle is up.

Word is : WONG. Due: Friday 23rd

14. PUTS

PUTS Elite Member

He knows what he's doing. He's experimenting. Once you learn the rules if letter structure you learn to break them as well.

15. lse292

lse292 Senior Member

THanks Puts... But this 'R' is rly terrible.

16. nZane

nZane Senior Member

Beeing a toy is tough sometimes :/

20170617_222105[1].jpg

17. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member

I like your hand style Nzane your not a toy, i dig your style. And puts his "R" is really off thats why i said i think he should keep it basic.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  18. nZane

nZane Senior Member

Thanks buddy, its just like EBA said: You never feel like you get the core elements of the letters perfectly right (loosely paraphrased)!

19. nZane

nZane Senior Member

Added some color, now i like it more.::

20170618_160903[1].jpg

20. Kaps2

Kaps2 Elite Member