Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. skrit.

skrit. Senior Member

Thanks, I felt the extensions off the R were nescessary for balance.

2. skrit.

skrit. Senior Member

IMG_6034.JPG

3. Bobby Hampton

Bobby Hampton Member

Much appreciated! I'll work on that third sketch and post up my second attempt

4. BRAKE1

BRAKE1 Member

5. BRAKE1

BRAKE1 Member

6. Derschauer

Derschauer Member

If u wanna w8 something like 3 weeks, ten i can try to go with it. Should be fun

7. Bobby Hampton

Bobby Hampton Member

Start with a ruler and draw a headline, Baseline, and midline to keep all your letters level and consistent. Over all the letters like pretty decent, they're just not sitting level. You have the 3D from one letter going over the next letter, a couple things you could try:. Build the letters so that they butt up next to each other but don't overlap. Overlap the letters but don't put 3D on where they intersect, just put 3D on the edge of the letters as a whole if that makes sense. When letters do overlap, throw a mini 3D in the form of a slightly heavier stroke to make it look like there's a little shadow. Think like the letters are made of construction paper and they cast a little bit of Shadow on to the next one.

8. zoup

zoup Elite Member

drew my friends name, markers dry
    sandynips.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  9. Bobby Hampton

Bobby Hampton Member

Letter forms look pretty tight dude. I'd just ditch some of the doodads but yallready know that. Keep the Y as is, I like the way those flares things kick out . They help break up the letter into its elements. Top of the A and D are where it's overkill . Same for bottom of S. Well done with the consistent tilt throughout the name.

Don't you know that chicks dig bubble letters tho?! I think Sandy needs a throwie homie.

10. Derschauer

Derschauer Member

Kk
    Made Wheeb for me (can be with single E as well )

11. BRAKE1

BRAKE1 Member

12. BluberryNeko

BluberryNeko Member

Haiya
    First ever hand style piece.
    I literally sat for half an hour a just drew B's.
    Still not convinced by the U. Thoughts or tips?

06.04.2018.jpg

13. Bobby Hampton

Bobby Hampton Member

The u is backwarsds, is that deliberate? I'd loose the whips and underline and just work on a basic style. Try a chisel tip marker like a pilot or whatever, those can help give simple letters some natural style. Also try it on a flat line rather than at an slant. Slanting tags should be reserved for spots that don't allow flat writing. Flat will always look cleaner. There's a separate forum for tags that may yield you better critiques. This one is just kind of a general black book forum so your posts will get mixed in with a lot of burners and characters and stuff.

Lastly, just terminology here but a hand style is a hand style and a piece is a piece (masterpiece). I'd refer to this as just a tag personally, although handstyle isn't incorrect. I just like to save that term for a more elabprela tag that has been developed

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  14. Bobby Hampton

Bobby Hampton Member

I like hope your 3D has a vanishing point in the center of the word. Makes that shit pop off the page a little bit. Try narrowing the kearning (space between letters). Definitely an improvement here tho.

I'd suggest getting so excited tracing paper to develope letters and only focus on outines and shadows for now. You can trace the letter and shift the page, trace again to easily push the letters together without much efcore recreating from scratch

15. BluberryNeko

BluberryNeko Member

Yeah, I still don't really know what I'm doing. I was going through the hand style battle thread just looking at the kind of stuff that shows up there so I'm probably jumping in the deep end a bit too much.
    Thanks for the terminology advice too. ^^

16. BluberryNeko

BluberryNeko Member

Also, I didn't even realise the u was backwards until a good while after I did it.

I'm dyslexic so writing is not my strong point in general. So I'm working at getting it better. :3

17. Tuke

Tuke Senior Member

That sure aint a piece...

18. BluberryNeko

BluberryNeko Member

Tehe. I apologise for my misuse of terminology.
    But I was already corrected by bobby

19. Bobby Hampton

Bobby Hampton Member

Yo, as long as you're in the Quest for knowledge you're on the right path man. I gave this advice in a different thread, but the best resource for a beginner is to pick up a lettering book from your local craft store. These how-to books are aimed at little girls, but there are seriously some good resources to be found. Honestly that that will be the most helpful tool at the very beginning. They teach you how to break down letters into basic Strokes which you can then flip into a graffiti style as you see fit.

20. SUG

SUG Elite Member

I fucked up on the shadow on the g but anyone got critz?

1523053813200-26850231.jpg