Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Figuring out WHO the artist is...tips please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Julia K, Apr 27, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Julia K

Julia K New Member

Hi all, I am not a graffiti artist, but a longtime lover of the form. I write (memoir, poetry, essays) and love roaming cities and taking photos of beautiful people (all types) and art. I was in Bushwick, NYC recently and wanted to submit some photos. I know we want to give credit to the artist...if I don't know, is there any way to find out? Maybe some people from the area might read this and get back to me? Thank you!

2. EGGZ

EGGZ Senior Member

Theres no issue posting the relevant art in relevant area.

For example Teniks posts art (spray cans) from all over Sydney that may or not be his.
    He/She posts it in the relevant section.

If its NOT your art you just state that then it's cool.

So saying that your best approach is to put up someone else's art in the relevant section. Not sure if your aware of the culture here, but if your trying to find the writer then it's highly unlikely you will do that. People who "get up" prefer to remain anonymous.

You won't have any issues finding artists who do commissioned pieces however. But that as you can probably guess is a different culture all together to the anonymous writer.

What sort of art is it? Graff, street art? Tags, Murals/characters etc. Is it spray art?.

3. Julia K

Julia K New Member

That makes sense...it is murals and characters against the side of buildings..

4. FOEone

FOEone Elite Member

Most graff writers stay anonymous for a reason. What we do is against the law. I can only speak for myself, but if I saw a photograph of my work in a book, I would be honored, but wouldn't want my government name attached or any monetary compensation. I make money from my canvases because I want to and can, but as far as graffiti goes, it goes against my philosophy as a bomber to have my outside life attached to the paint I put on walls. In your case, I would consider graffiti "guerilla public-domain."

5. FOEone

FOEone Elite Member

Also, I threw up a few bombs in Bushwick about a year ago when I was passing through. Lovely town with some incredible artists. You certainly have a lot to work with. I wonder if you saw any of my work.

6. Rusuremb

Rusuremb New Member

The best way out of the situation is to mention where you saw the painting. This will be pleasant for the author, and you will be well done.