Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Freight Whores And Rail Fans

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by FOEone, Jul 20, 2004.

Share This Page

1. dirty_technician

dirty_technician Elite Member

2. dirty_technician

3. dirty_technician

4. dirty_technician

5. yankee jim

yankee jim Member

dirty tech, you're an ill photografist

6. gun runner

gun runner Senior Member

7. Haste

Haste Senior Member

nice lficks as usual dirty.
    you posted that blue pickens railroad boxcar, i posted one a coupel pages back, asking for any info on them. i'd never caught one before and haven't since i caught that one while on my roadtrip. whats the deal with them?

8. dirty_technician

it's just history.
    aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_en_4_43_Paducah_and_Louisville_Railway_Logo.png
    PAL and Pickten are seperate companies.

PAL(Paducah and Louisville Railway)
    Paducah and Louisville Railway (AAR reporting mark PAL) is a Class II railroad that operates freight service between Paducah and Louisville, Kentucky.

[Broken External Image]:http://64.246.11.82/images/p/PAL_2101_and_2104.JPG.45952.jpg
    The 270-mile line was purchased from Illinois Central Railroad in August, 1986. The 223-mile main route runs between Paducah and Louisville with a branch line from Paducah to Kevil and Mayfield, Kentucky and another from Louisville to Elizabethtown, Kentucky. The PAL interchanges with the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) and Canadian National (CN), formerly Illinois Central Railroad, in Paducah. In Madisonville, the line interchanges with CSX Transportation (CSXT). In Louisville, the line interchanges with the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR), CSX Transportation (CSXT) and Norfolk Southern (NS). Class III line connections are at Princeton with the Fredonia Valley Railroad (FVRR) and at Louisville with the Louisville and Indiana Railroad (LIRC).

The parent company of the PAL, Four Rivers Transportation, Inc., also operates the Evansville Western Railway.

Those boxes were built a few decades ago, and have since been baught and traded between different short line companies ever since. Even though there are a few differences between that one you posted, and say, the same build of boxcar with a ST.LAWRENCE RAILWAY logo at the top instead, it's all the same group originally, they've just fallen into different companies hands.

Pickens operates freight service from a Norfolk Southern connection at Easely, South Carolina to Pickens, 9.9 miles and from Belton to Honea Path, 16 miles. Rail is 85 to 100 pound on the Pickens line and 85 pound on the Belton to Honea Path line. Traffic is transportation equipment, lumber, cotton, paper and fertilizer.

The company was chattered on May 10, 1892 to build a 19 mile line from Easley to Olenoy Gap by way of Pickens. The line was opened to Pickens in 1898. Passenger service ceased in 1928. The Belton to Honea Path line -- part of the old Blue Ridge Railway -- was leased to the Pickens Railroad as a part of Norfolk Southern's Thoroughbred Shortline Program on April 11, 1990. Additionally, PICK now operates CSX trackage in Anderson, some 28.5 miles. Pickens handles some about 5000 carloadings on the entire system.

Emergent Group and its predecessor, National Railway Utilization Corporation, has controlled the railroad since 1973.
    [Broken External Image]:http://signaturedigitale.com/pick6276x800crop.jpg
    asouthern.railfan.net_trip_sc04_pick2dpickenstgd050604.jpg
    asouthern.railfan.net_trip_sc04_pickboxpickenstgd050604.jpg
    asouthern.railfan.net_trip_sc04_pickmwpickenstgd050604.jpg

9. Mista Jostah

Mista Jostah Senior Member

hmm.. I PICK this flatbox

10. Haste

Haste Senior Member

thanks a lot. i appreciate it.

11. gun runner

gun runner Senior Member

12. shizol1

shizol1 Member

13. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

14. 42yr.old Metalhead

42yr.old Metalhead Senior Member

Irm & Ebis from the previous page.

15. dcite

dcite Elite Member

16. ghostbusta5

ghostbusta5 Elite Member

ya that Spice is fresh

17. snapcase

snapcase Member

18. cow bloke

cow bloke Senior Member

hey what area is soke and the real stok is that rochester cuz when i was drivin through i could have sworn i seen both in differant spots

19. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

20. stocker

stocker Senior Member