Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

I Need A Label For My Products.

Discussion in 'Old battles' started by illadelph, May 19, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Enygm

Enygm Senior Member

i've studyed publicity and i'm working in that field...let me tell you something:

-Who do you think is gonna be interested in buying these products? Now do you think
    these people radder have a regular formal visual identity that look like a corporate company ?
    or
    something that makes them think that this product have been tested and formulated for the street. something that makes them think that it's made by people sharing there interests?

If you wanna sell ink to fill printer cartriges then i'd consider the first choice, other wise stick with something fresh that represent the real use of your product...

2. atlok7

atlok7 Elite Member

i agree. but look at all the big successful marker/graffiti companies, mostly all of them have a clean simple letter graphic to represent them because it gives their product the image of strength and quality. and i personally think companies with graff on the bottle makes them look cheap and tacky

3. twisties

twisties Elite Member

I could actually see atlok design on a t-shirt or a sticker stuck up on a wall or given out to people moreso than a bottle...I'm not hating on the design but I think on a bottle because it's round the design affect would be lost...But on a shirt or sticker it'd be cool.

When designing it all depends on the market you are going for..IF the item is going to be out there for the mass markets then you've gotta take that into consideration but if you're selling on a small time scale and only to your own market that know what you are selling then you can most likely get away with putting something on it that only that 'area' will understand but also know you may lose out on possible sales to other masses...But the public eye in general want to be able to tell what it is quick and simple without getting lost in something they don't understand because it's too hard to read or just to them doesn't make sense because they don't know much about the subject matter..But also on the flip side you might also want to think about attracting the market outside of graff which in turn gets them interested in your products and possibly graff..It can happen.

You can still combine graff and a design that is appealing to both writers and non writers a like...It was something I was trying to capture in my last designs. Still have a element of graff but make it easy to read and straight to the point while having a mop like I to give it that dirty mop/ink feel.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. rakecity

rakecity Member

im a full time graphic design student and im gonna agree with enygm. graffiti was never meant to be pretty or appealing to the masses. the target audience here is writers, not big name corporate sponsors. a gritty, fit for the streets logo on a joint of ink will catch my attention more than a clean iconic logo.

5. CUBANO

CUBANO Senior Member

Too many other companies have done there names in graffiti though....
    A clean logo like atlok's...would be tight on a sticker/shirt...
    And on the bottle too..

6. Hobbes

Hobbes Senior Member

Its for writers so writers are the only ones who are really gonna be buyin' it, if they see a decent or ill handstyle on the bottle their gonna think its cool that the product is catered to them instead of walking around with a 'marker' that says "wood craft glue" or whatever, that and they know the markers made for what their using.

Its kinda better it doesn't appeal to mass audiences and is more discreet, 'cause like skeme said in style wars, its not always for everyone else sometiems its just for the writers. If a writer gets busted by the cops with that marker, do you really want them to know all about "illadelph", and risk being shut down in the future? That may not be a problem but regardless, its only the writers who are really gonna be lookin' at it, better for them to be able to read a handstyle on the bottle than any old chum who might fall upon it.

Writers tend to look at things more closely and analyze shit too. Consumers like to see shit that is representative of the product or service. For example the place I interned at this year they did a vehicle wrap for a real estate company and it had blue prints on the car embedded into a graphic. So it kinda related to houses and stuff.

Thats my 2cents, I been doin' graphics design since 12 'n I interned at a graphics design place this past year, plus I've done a lot of research and read lots of articles regarding graphics design. My senior project was about how 3d words were more eye catching to consumers than plain text.

Thats why I put all the stuff in mine I did, the 'philly' handstyles patterned in the BG of the text 'n the drips 'cause its a marker so you can do drippy tags 'n also its supposed to be like a mini graff piece with the marker next to it like it just drew the tag.

But like most people said it might not look so good on a small label 'n plus I had accidently resized the PSD file and saved it real small so yeah don't pick mine haha, I might make another submission soon depending on how much time there is left but theres some cool stuff in here already I don't know if I wanna try outdoing everyone now that theres 7 pages.

7. XEDGEX

XEDGEX Senior Member

8. Enygm

Enygm Senior Member

DECIDE? i tought you were going to poll them?

9. XEDGEX

XEDGEX Senior Member

10. Baias

Baias Senior Member

Straight up, if you can't decide which one you like the best, round up all the ones you like and take it to a poll.

Sure, you've gotta make sure any investors like the way your product looks, but at the same time you've gotta keep your consumers in mind. If the people BUYING your product think it looks whack it doesn't matter how much money your investors toss at you, people still aren't gonna buy something they don't like.

Personally, I'm feeling a lot of what's been tossed up, and I'm also pretty impressed by the constructive opinions people have put forth. Really surprised the shit outta me, haha!

Just my 2 cents!

11. atlok7

atlok7 Elite Member

ya man writers know about the bizz

12. Mass Appeal

Mass Appeal Banned

the whole shape of the logo needs to be like XEDGEX's..its going on a bottle...nothing else.

13. este_oner

este_oner Senior Member

how about thinking outside of the box?

14. atlok7

atlok7 Elite Member

yeah i agree, but just putting a handstyle on a bottle isnt thinking out side the box

15. [phenom5]

[phenom5] Senior Member

Honestly when the labels all like...gritty looking and looks like a messy handstyle, yeah it does appeal more to writers in the sense that it's from the streets and used in the streets, but maybe just my opinion, shit like that makes it seem like it's just some homemade shit that I could throw together on my own.
    With a more official looking label and stuff you invision in your head fucking scientists mixing up some professional formula in a lab with crazy chemicals and what not.
    Maybe not to that full extent but you get what I mean...
    I'm actually real interested to see what you use though, I do plan on buying lots of this shit.

16. NoWorries

NoWorries Senior Member

I ask all of you who are talking, and don't submit entries. lay off a bit. A little criticism is good, but some of you are full out picking apart someones work, and you can't come up with anything remotely as good.

my 2 cents

17. [phenom5]

[phenom5] Senior Member

You must've read over the parts where everyone commented on pretty much all the entries saying they're all incredible.

18. NoWorries

NoWorries Senior Member

yeah that doesn't really cover for the constant ripping ever since.

19. illadelph

illadelph Elite Member

WORRRD!! *****S CAN'T BE DISSIN OTHER WRITER'S SHIT IF THEY AIN'T GOT NUTTIN POSTED!!! THAT'S STRAIGHT CORNY YO.......IF YOU DIDN'T POST,HOW THE FUCK YOU GONNA TELL SOMEBODY THEIR SHIT'S WACK??EXPLAIN THAT....

20. *cept*

*cept* Senior Member

you studied publicity? you mean marketing?
    i completely disagree, Krink markets their stuff as "art supplies" and has a very professional look, and look how well its doin. Unlike OTR's goofy logo where a guy is holding a fuckin spraycan. Keep it professional, not "street".