Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. Excalibur

Excalibur Senior Member

Graffiti might not have been art, but it's art now....I mean, it's all over the place, it's not a question anymore, it's a FACT, Graffiti is art.

2. peng.2

peng.2 Senior Member

it depends what kind of graffiti your talking about
    if its just writing on a dumpster of course its just vandalism
    but if its a mural full of pieces, color, characters and, designs then that is art

3. Excalibur

Excalibur Senior Member

That's not true, cause like, If you draw a cartoon character on your school desk, that's vandalism, but it's still art. Art isn't determined by how long it takes to do it, or where it is, it's determined by the heart put in it, and the appeal it gets.

4. Sumoe

Sumoe Elite Member

legal=art
    illegal=vandalism

I hate it when people be like "graffiti is art, it's beautiful, there is nothing wrong with it etc."

5. hella_greasy

hella_greasy Senior Member

I don't see how it can be disputed..graffiti fits into the marjority of definitions of "art"..it is the creative application of a medium to a surface..graffiti is art by defintion

but it is also destruction of property, and is also vandalism..I don't see how something can't be art AND vandalism, they are completley unrelated

so yes, graffiti, from burners to fucking glass etching, even if its wack as fuck is absolutley art..

6. hella_greasy

hella_greasy Senior Member

yeah! this cat gets it..

7. AteskOne

AteskOne Elite Member

i'm with you 100% on this one.

people needa stop "saying some of it is art...some isnt." it either is or it isnt and i vote 'is'.

hella_greasy and excalibur are the only cats that make any sense on here. this isnt even disputable. graffiti is are by definition as greasy stated.

8. Degausserr x

Degausserr x Senior Member

that basically but everything in a nutshell i would have said.

graffiti is defiantly art, you design it, you put time and effort into it, and when you stand back and look at the finished product it isn't just vandalism, its beautiful.

9. xFatel.Onex

xFatel.Onex Senior Member

if you actualy think about it graffiti is an abstract art form... not totaly only if you think about things. like why they put it there why do they write that name why do they do that style why do they do those style of characters and why did they use those colours... the answer most would use is cuz "they felt like it" but theres always more to that answer

10. BOOGER KING

BOOGER KING Senior Member

Well a blank wall doesent come under art at all.

11. <SMK>

<SMK> Senior Member

I dont care what anyone says all graffiti is art its just in a different class of art...

12. Degausserr x

Degausserr x Senior Member

more of a different form...

13. GEE-DOT-ONE

GEE-DOT-ONE Senior Member

graff is only art to graff artists... i think peices and murals are a differnt thing...

i beleve a throwie can be amazing if you get the right one...

and ever seen philly handstyles?
    its an art right there... think not? lets see you pull them off as good

14. elcs

elcs Elite Member

mods...come on

15. anon df-mb

anon df-mb Member

in my opinion it is.people goto skool to learn some things related to grafd like good color schemes,3d,dimentions and letter structure.i thinks its definetly and art form.this may not be the right thread for what im about to say but i have to say it...people want to call graffiti vandalism but vandalism is fukin throwing a brick thru a window,in reality graff is creative destruction.anyone can pik up a can and paint somethin but it takes a creative mind to do bombs,pieces and burners.jus somthin i always wanted to say...

16. vintage

vintage Senior Member

whoa, wtf is up with all these essay answers.
    graf is art whether you think it or not.
    art doesnt have to be eye popping.
    FINGER ART baby, ye grade 2 remember?
    thats art.
    cans are the tools, walls are the canvas' . . .
    and art is made. thats it.

17. sens1

sens1 Senior Member

Graffiti art is an art form. The reasons, including aesthetic criteria, as to why it is an art form far outweigh the criticism of illegality, incoherence, and nonstandard presentation. The objective of this paper is to explain how graffiti art overcomes these concerns and thereby can be considered as an art form.

Suppose that Leonardo, Monet, Picasso, or any of the recognized artisans of Western European culture were alive in the present day. Then, suppose that one of these famous artists decided to paint a masterpiece on the side of your house or on your front door or on a wall in your neighborhood. Would Picasso or Monet's markings be graffiti or art or vandalism or graffiti art? The answer may vary across people, but I would claim that those markings are art in the form of graffiti. Their markings would qualify as vandalism only if they appeared on private or public property without permission. The same answer holds for the present day, genre of graffiti known as graffiti art.

-George C. Stowers [email protected]

i feel graffiti is a way of expressing your self. wether it be a bomb or a piece. there is no denying what we do takes practice and talent.
    graffiti is an art form. plain and simple.
    -BReSk

18. coser1

coser1 Senior Member

k who the hell was dumb enough to vote no...yes its frekin art you shouldn't even have to ask

19. RUDE_Bwoy

RUDE_Bwoy Elite Member

im on both sides but i think graff is an art more than vandalism

20. coser1

coser1 Senior Member

well i think vandalism is an art too if you really think about it