Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is it biting, being inspired, or just plain lazy? Graffiti Characters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DJ RX-78, Apr 1, 2015.

Share This Page

1. DJ RX-78

DJ RX-78 New Member

So over the years I've been crafting my own graff characters in my sketch books and postal stickers. I've made it a note to see what have been reoccurring themes in terms of eyes and other features that characters would have (highlights, line weight, etc). Though as of two or so years ago, I started to make note of something I wasn't particularly fond of, which was seeing different graff artists/writers with more or less the same style and almost the same characters. A lot of this happens when it comes to postal stickers, though I suppose I'm a little forgiving of that because it seems like a lot of people take it casually. Though when I start seeing it with more commercially sold stuff, like on threadless or some other place for tools, I kind of get irritated. Though maybe I'm over thinking this too much like I did when I got mad at someone for redrawing specific comic book characters by specific artists for commission.

So I wanted to pose this question to everyone: What would you consider to be biting or being inspired when it comes to making characters?

desktop_background_by_cronobreaker-d50akhl.jpg
    graffiti_bizarre_seamless_texture_1_2-o.jpg c27f4ce431471238a8ac08de609a3e24.jpg
    d79448588f543121576947c1b176ef95.jpg

2. Tyler.

Tyler. Senior Member

Reminds me of Dalek actually. Dalek bites?

3. Ray of Today

Ray of Today Elite Member

^ He's been accused of it.
    There are different periods in graf where characters take on the same likenesses, and this is true of the larger art scene in general too. Some of those styles can carry through, others have their moment and go. A very few get to lead each new period and everyone else is being influenced if not straight biting.

4. Tyler.

Tyler. Senior Member

oh yea. forgot about dat. lol. i wouldn't say Dalek looked anything like Kaws but back in the 90's or whenever when he was getting called out none of this other shit existed and there was more of a contrast. i never really studied either of em or anything and don't live in either of their areas and have never met either of them. i'd def say Kaws is the realer writer tho and is maybe more of a delight to see rocking since he actually had a solid letter style and wasn't only psychedelic-ish characters.

5. Ray of Today

I really don't recall any Kaws/Dalek arguments but it could have happened. If I do recall correctly though, the criticism was that Dalek took a lot from popular culture. During that time period people also loved to copy (or be influenced by) Giant and Twist, Sub too. But hey, early graf characters clearly came from Bode.

6. dangeri

dangeri Elite Member

I believe alot of Bodes stuff was influenced from Bakshi. Check out Ralph Bakshi - Wizards (Its an awesome film for the record). In particular Eleanor, Who is the spit of a typical 'Bode Broad'. Dont think its biting per say, but you can clearly see influence. Its possible they both took influence from the same person again, I dont know.

7. Ghettopicasso

Ghettopicasso Senior Member

You got that backwards bro bashki was influenced from bodé

8. dangeri

dangeri Elite Member

@Ghettopicasso My bad.

Had Wizards down as 1967 for some reason... only a decade out, haha You get my point though, both famous in thier own right for very similar stuffs.

9. DJ RX-78

DJ RX-78 New Member

What I'm getting from this is that many artist/writers have "similar" stuff, but it wouldn't really be biting.

Who are some big name people who have been notorious for biting?

10. Ghettopicasso

Ghettopicasso Senior Member

I'm pretty sure when trains were big in New York everyone was biting from pop culture, Preston blair, bodè, mobiues, all the dudes from heavy metal, I think biting is critical to graffiti it just sucks when shit gets stagnant and doesn't evolve

11. Ray of Today

Biting/copying/stealing is rampant in the art/fashion/design world, hard for anything to really be called original these days no matter who it is.

12. dome

dome New Member

In general, biting should never be accepted. I feel like people do it because they're scared of being labeled a toy...mixed with being lazy as well. It's cool to be inspired by different styles, but these fools nowadays are just straight up jackin' everything and not getting checked for it. I can't even look at most graffiti anymore unless it's from an older writer.