Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Music Production And Turntablism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ekto907, Jul 14, 2006.

Share This Page

1. ODonthesetrees

ODonthesetrees Elite Member

wow, im glad i noticedd this thread, we have this program at my school called music tech 1, 2 and 3, i took it for two years nad loved it, ts basiclaly making any kind of musci using a keyboard/synth and some programs(i forget the names as of right now)

well ever since i stopped takin the class, ive been makign such ill ebats and things like that in my head and i want some sort of equipment to get it working...

my question is, what do you need to do this sort of thing, im incredibly new and im jsut curious abotu beats, not scratchign or turntables or anyhting of that sort...

so a list would go somethign like this?:

computer program such as acid
    keyboard/synthesizer
    sampling machine?

what else?

oh and one more thing, are their any websites anyone knows of, like this website but for music production in the terms of computer sampling/beats?

2. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

theres thousands, but learn on your own its the only way learn your equipment inside and out...

all u really need is a decent drum machine and a sampler/editing program maybe a sythand u can to plenty of shit i hardly use my triton work station mostly my synth i need to get some shit for my mpc2000XL an ill have that up and good till them i make my drums online and with other sampling equipment

3. RMA

RMA Elite Member

What you need really depends on how you work. I know guys who produce their whole tracks on just like a keyboard workstation and I know guys who make really amazing beats using just a 303. I'm a computer kinda guy, the core of all my stuff is done on my macbook and I just can't really work as well on like an MPC. I know a guy who bought an MPC and sold it a month later because he likes doing everything in fruity loops much better.

On another note I got some new tracks and stuff up at myspace go check em out.

www.myspace.com/rma

4. ODonthesetrees

yeah i was only asking what equipment, not which brand and model...

so i think im jsut goign to get some cheap shit to use with reason, probably get the m-audio 02 and the korg padkontrol

5. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

play around with computer based programs before you jump into equipment.... i see alot of people think they want to do it and then half a year later there equipment has dst on it and doesnt ever get used and it a good deal of money wasted, my studio alone is now around some where close to 8-10,000$

6. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

Im running FL XXL Producers edition rite now.
    And Acid.
    I dont know, but computer beats arnt my thang.
    I wanna start gettin physical beats/ scratchin.
    Been lookin around.
    Numark have caught my eye a bit.

Any suggestions on a nice afforbale turntable?
    (mixer will probably come later)

Examples on what you need?
    Hoop up to regular speakers?
    And what not...

7. ODonthesetrees

i have done this for two years, jsut never owned my own equipment, in the studio i worked at we used Cubase, but i want reason becasue itsm ore about remixing and shit then just straight up recording, and im goign to record all my own live beats and chop em up, like im gunna go to my uncles and get some real fresh drum beats casue hes been playing for over 30 years, get some bass riffs from my dad becasue hes been playing for 42 this year...then break down some albums and make shit out of hcopped up samples, i liek that shit more than using digi FX

8. otrfatcap

otrfatcap Senior Member

how you gonna scratch without a mixer???

Ne one know why my stereo receiver keeps going into overload??? shits killin me i cant mix because halfway through it shuts off...

9. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

Basic scratching maybe?

10. otrfatcap

otrfatcap Senior Member

im not sure if you've Researched anything about dj'ing and using turntables, but you definitely should...

go to google and search turntablism....

11. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

12. C-SONE

C-SONE Senior Member

HAHA GRONK YA NEED A FUCKIN MIXER, also numarks are good fro the price.

My setup:
    2x Technics SL-1200MKII
    Numark DM-10002 MKII Mixer
    Shure M447 Cartridges & Stylus
    Technics RPDH1200 Headphones

I have a question though, At the moment my setup is pretty much just used for playback but I would like to work out cuts and the like. Does anyone have any guides or know of any workshops in Victoria here I can aqciure these skills? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  13. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

I do have a mixer.
    But i need to hook it up to the comp everytime i use it.
    I and need to figure out how to hook it up to the tables.

I was sayin, i wanted to get a nother one that i can actually hook up to some tables.

14. C-SONE

C-SONE Senior Member

Get the numark one I have, its only a couple of hundred and its fair decent

15. otrfatcap

otrfatcap Senior Member

Look for a used vestax pmc on ebay or something, you can buy a replacement crossfader if you get a used one
    or find a guitar center having a good sale, then work the guys down on price..Trust me...i've had a stanton mixer, a vestax 3 channel, and now i've got some cheap numark mixer....i'm workin on getting a vestax Pmc series mixer, i'd really like a rane ttm56, but that will come later when i got the cash flow....

16. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

17. otrfatcap

otrfatcap Senior Member

those a great, but i've always had my eyes on some damn techs...haha...my boy had some ttx1's and they just felt wierd to me...

18. C-SONE

C-SONE Senior Member

19. GeSuS_KRiST

GeSuS_KRiST Moderator

haha

20. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

like i SAID.
    I do have a mixer.
    Its just a program mixer that i have NO CLUE how to hook up to the tables.