Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Philisophical Concepts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tonedope, Apr 8, 2006.

Share This Page

1. St Mikal

St Mikal Senior Member

highly invalid

and no

2. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

Some m are p,
    Some s are not p,
    THerefore, Some s are not p.

3. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

Oh okay sorry, then disregard that next syllogysm.

as for continuing the philosophical discussion.
    Does anyone "tree branch" their thoughts?

4. FuLa

FuLa Elite Member

I haven't but I really should...after writing my first post here...I was able to explain it in words to my father what I thought(...for the first time...)which I'm never able to because I always end up in "damn I forgot what I was thinking about" or "I'm not sure how to say what I mean" hehehe...but in a way I like the fact that my thoughts dissappear and I re-learn my things and not see them as facts and maybe one day running out of ideas!....

5. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

OMg fula, I put effort into my reply to your first post, you better make a response or I might eb forced to whoop your ass.

6. FuLa

FuLa Elite Member

hahah I will but tomorrow....I ended up talking about the saaaame stuff w/ my dad and I"m kinda worn out also taking care of 13 6 y/o kids was really exhausting in a b-day this afternoon...I will :D

7. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

If you don't... *shakes fist*
    It would be kind of emabrrassing to get your ass handed to you by a woman.

8. St Mikal

St Mikal Senior Member

An idea to get live with Evolution or Intelligent Design?

pretty crazy documentary called unlocking the mystery of life

on a side note put more graff vids on limewire!!

9. Mute1

Mute1 Elite Member

Intelligent design is bullshit. Of course life is planned out, designed, but not by a thinking mind like ourself. Its something deeper then that, more holistic. A form of intelligence no doubt but nothing like our conscious minds, much much more complex and objective.

10. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

what's your view on it mikal?

11. Alyte

Alyte Elite Member

i hate people like that.
    but really, its all sooo pointless and superficial.

12. FaultO

FaultO Elite Member

intelligent design can suck my anus...

i want to visit the creationist museum in tennessee or whereever and get a picture of me with a dude riding a dinosaur like it's a donkey.

13. St Mikal

St Mikal Senior Member

mute> cool, cool

Feliks> Im wrestling with it myself...I feel ID is bullshit but
    I dont entirely know. and evolution isnt all together sound

so we again reach the chicken and the egg question

wait till rasputin gets home hes been teaching me alot

what do you (all of you) think?

14. FaultO

FaultO Elite Member

the bible should be in the fiction section.

15. St Mikal

St Mikal Senior Member

i agree but even among creationists there is alot of disagreement

some think the bible is literal truth

others think its like ikea instructions just a general guide book

16. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

First mikal, tell me waht intelligent design means, tehn I'll edit and tell you waht my view is.
    Edit: Okay so given the information you've supplied me with. I believe it's bullshit. I'm a realist and yet in some cases I contradict myself (like this one) Like the fact that I believe in astral projection but I do not believe in ID. I think it's bullshit. completely. This world is science with only a minimal % of surrealism if that what you'd like to call it.

Evolution is my belief. We wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for us taking other's theories and applying them with our own.

Anyway, I can't really elaborate cuz I decided to start my own par-tay.

17. Mute1

Mute1 Elite Member

i hate people like that.
    but really, its all sooo pointless and superficial. [/b][/quote]
    Why? you live, you die. All you can hope for is to enjoy that short time u have to exist....some will strive to leave a lasting mark or change, but just wanting to be happy is not superficial at all, its the most any of us can hope for really.

and mikal, I disagree, evolution as a concept is 100% sound. Just because there are gaps in our understanding of it doesn't mean its not true. Just look at the way life works, everything grows, changes, evolves. Thats the way reality works, gradual changes of adaption with a goal of bettering reality. its reflected in everything in life, from the evolution of our society and species, to geological shit etc. I think the universe is basically at the core one single formula or series of formulas that make for exponential growth. Nothing is planned out or preconceived, its like a computer program that has the basic roots to program itself as it goes along.

Just because something appears programmed or designed by conscious minds to US doesn't mean it is at all. Let's not forget, the universe created us. We are adapted to the way the universe works, not the other way around. We get our ideas of structure and design from nature itself and we copy them. Then people turn around and say "well i see elements in nature that appear designed like machines that humans make, so this must mean there is a conscious mind that designed these things. Its totally ass backwards.

18. St Mikal

St Mikal Senior Member

shit thats a tall order its alot of stuff

but essentially it is the concept that things in life are too complex and too orderly to have been accidentally created by say evolution (i.e. natural causes)...this suggests that there is an order to life and nature set up by some sort of intelligent designer (God, Gods)

its facets are:
    - irreducable (sp) complexity
    - information systems
    - specifed complexity

19. Mute1

Mute1 Elite Member

Who are we to make a judgement on what the universe is and is not capable of? We don't know shit man.

Evolution is not accidental. Of course there is rule and order to life, like the laws of physics for instance. But why must they have been created by a god? Why can't they simply exist as part of a more holistic form of intelligence that lacks consciousness or a "person" behind that intelligence? It's just another of mankind's incessent need to anthromorphize everything we come into contact with to better understand it. We call nature mother nature for instance, satan represents evil, we have the man in the moon, and the big one - god. God is just the universe anthropomorphized. But this is destructive when you start actually believing this personalized god exists and crusading against other people who have different beliefs. The assumption that order exists and therefore there must be a sentient mind behind it is a total fallacy wrought from an inability to relate to that which is not directly like ourselves. After all, our only reality really is inside our own heads, and people have a hard time wrapping their head around a form of intelligence that is so different from their own.

As for irreductible complexity, it's simply not true. We have tons and tons of evidence of organisms evolving in ways that defy this. It's bullshit. For those who dont know it basically means that an organism, say us, couldn't function without certain parts of the system and so it could not have evolved but must have been created all at once. It's just bullshit that stems from simplistic (and flawed) reasoning and the fossil record clearly refutes this.

20. Grigory Rasputin

Grigory Rasputin Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007