Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Starting Canvas Work

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by DA'SeLMeR'', Jun 28, 2004.

Share This Page

1. DNA

DNA Elite Member

i went to michaels and i bought a 6 pack of Deco Colors, i also bought some cheap-ass small canvas boards, do i paint them with spraypaint, let them dry, and then i pumped the paint pen like it said to and gushes of paint flowed out. tyied this with the other ones and they did it too. then when i tried to write, do the outline, the pens kept not witing and stalling.
    what was i dong wrong? was it the markers? has anyone else had this problem with decos?

2. i_eat_clam

i_eat_clam Elite Member

dont use decos.... use Painters paint pens... they are watter based.

3. ACE512

ACE512 Elite Member

for the fine lines and edges if we dont have the real skill to do it ourselves.

4. ACE512

ACE512 Elite Member

like i was saying the best of the best dont use paint markers but pure paint.
    heres a guy named misk1 this guy is crazy good. im sure you have seen him i got the link to his sight from artcrimes...

[Broken External Image]:http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5883/sanstitre1copie4vx.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img141.exs.cx/img141/6706/12127cq.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5682/12136yx.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5906/12146ck.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img141.exs.cx/img141/349/12153yu.jpg

so yeah look at that and see the supplies he is using and use them lol.

5. i_eat_clam

i_eat_clam Elite Member

the hell are you talkin about ^^.. thats more like a FUCKIN ACTUAL PIECE then canvas work...

6. DNA

DNA Elite Member

yeah, that is the size of an actual peice

7. joust

joust Elite Member

Canvas board is the shit. I like to drip wax onto my canvas' (i know it sounds kinda weird) but if you paint over some of the wax it makes this really cool 3d kinda effect.

8. infer one

infer one Elite Member

what i plan on doing is buying a big canvas, its about the size of a piece of plie wood, 100 bills at micheals, and using spray paint of what ever color desired, use certaint caps for certaint effects, decos are my fav. for high detail on small pieces... and there you have it, i dont know the whole price for that, im thinking that the price is around 150 bills, depending on how much color you use.

9. ESNED

ESNED Elite Member

make your own canvas from scratch its cheaper and not hard

10. canaru

canaru Senior Member

i didnt get exactly which markers works over spraypaint....and im talking like one coat.....without grabing the actual paint and shit.....

maybe someone can post pics or something

11. "awesome"ONE

"awesome"ONE Elite Member

In answer to the question of this thread, I'd think you'd need to get a canvas from a crafts store, a few decos (or any paint pen of your choice for that matter) and just a little bit of paint and your ready to go.

12. vanillasqueeze

vanillasqueeze Elite Member

ok i brought this thread back up and revived becuase i need some back up on my work

ok for all you canvas freaks out there.... i love dark backrounds, and im painting a pure black backround right now.... but thats just it, its just a backround and how do i put a forground on it when i cant see the lines im sketchin???....that means i pretty much just freestyle it.... which is what i always end up doing....

so my question is is there any type of material i can use to sketch on a dark backround but still be able to erase my mistakes?...

hit me up if you know..

13. Slob

Slob Elite Member

what the fuck, $12, its only $8 in vancouver.... 16X20 canvas. 2 pack...

anyway. rack loads of markers, whatever paint based markers you can find, buy some canvas at any art store, the pre stretched shit is fine unless your doing lots of canvas' or large ones.

i started using acrylics to paint backgrounds, just however you want to cover it. takes longer to dry, but is designed to last on canvas. i've heard spraypaint cracks after a while, but some of my first paintings are still fine and they were all done with spray paint.

and VANILLA, just do it in paint pen like you would on a wall( if you've ever done that). rought outlines... paint pens work a lot like spray paint, most colors cover other colors fine, like white over black or anyother color.... figure it out

14. MrCzar

MrCzar Senior Member

You need to prime your canvas with Gesso. if you don't your canvas will eventually rot. No joke.

15. MitNGEK

MitNGEK Elite Member

whatever is on there righ tnow paint over ot woth a roller and bucket paint then let it dry and paint ur shit

16. moneyone

moneyone Senior Member

17. vanillasqueeze

haha yeah, but all my damn markers suck ass, i press down and they explode........oh well i will just keep playin around...thnx slob

and WTF is gesso?

18. MrCzar

MrCzar Senior Member

It's canvas primer *no not paint* It prevents the weight of the paint and the chemcials in the paint from eating away the canvas. If you just do straight paint, the canvas rots away in 2-3 years.

19. vanillasqueeze

not a bad idea, but how come everyone says they will rot, i have two year old canvas's and they are in the same exact shape as they were the day after i created them.....

have you witnissed this first hand?

20. KAY-lo_use_RUST-o

KAY-lo_use_RUST-o Elite Member

slow slow slem *sp*lol i forget..

the canvas u buy from the store are already primed... u only need to prime it if its 100% fabric... if u feel that theres some coating on it. then its primed...