Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Tags

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Denz_one, Jul 11, 2005.

Share This Page

1. SpawnCamp

SpawnCamp Senior Member

2. Whtboi

Whtboi Member

I know the basics of graffiti starts with your handstyle so that's something I'm really looking to improve on. Just a few while ai had a minute at work, all crits welcome

20200209_224625.jpg

3. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

Start basic. You're forcing style. Do keyboard letters. Some people think they can just get right to style it doesn't work that way, it will always look bad. Simple tags actually look quite good if you understand how to write. See what your keyboard letters look like? Write that way. Then come back and I'll crit you

4. SAVER

SAVER New Member

I had to do the same things as you, just write with the most basic letters without style and your tag will be considered good . write SAP like you see it written by keyboard. There is no need to add style yet and , style will come natural to your tag with practice and repetition. Keep practicing simple tags without handstyles

5. Whtboi

Whtboi Member

6. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

make your A two lines, the triangle part in one stroke, and the horizontal bar at the middle of the capital A as the last stroke.

Keep in mind the proportions of your letters. your s is wide but the ap are thin. make your letters equally sized for now. later on you can play around with letter sizing. but for now you have to know how letters are built before you start making the crazy shit.

Its a matter of practice now. The S is written sloppily, pratice making your letterforms clean, execution is everything.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  7. Whtboi

Whtboi Member

Gonna keep practicing and practicing. Any suggestions to make my "S" less sloppy? I wrote my S from top to bottom should I try bottom to top? Also would you suggest me using a pen or a marker to practice with?

Snapchat-1530826679.jpg

8. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

Better, but you still have to work on your proportions. that p could use work cause its not the right size.
    also be conscious of the spacing of your letters.

and practice with pen or pencil. you get fine motor skills that way. More room for error so you know if you can write it well with a pen then it will only look better with a marker.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. Whtboi

Whtboi Member

A few more tonight at work

20200214_220955.jpg

10. gumOnShoe

gumOnShoe Elite Member

You cleaned up your letters, good. Your sap is aligned right. Now practice kerning your letters. If you dont know what kerning is it's the space between adjacent letters. Want em tight or loose? It's up to you. I personally like tightly spaced letters, looks more symbolic that way in my opinion.

Practice your tags with a pen and when you've got the muscle memory from repetition, give it a go with a marker. Then once you've mastered simple letters, try leaning some of your letters in to the left or right. Try different bends on your bars, understand just how much you can warp a letters structure before the letter is illegible. Try different types of variations on how to write your name, maybe a keyboard S and a script lowercase a-p combo for example. Keep it simple still though. The script example is still considered simple standard English handwriting(may be not anymore but the shit was around for a very long time so it's a part of english handwriting). Um, let's see what you can come up with. Remember, work on that kerning. Come back and let's see it.

Damn that was a whole cool story lmao. I'm gonna go smoke a cigarette fuck it's cold outside haha.

11. bigmerge

bigmerge Member

12. DAPER

DAPER Member

Been trying to really get into it this time. Started off with some simple tags and the page with the ones in marker was me playing around a little and adding some style. Any suggestions?

I kind of like the D on the marker tags more than the ones in pen.

IMG_20200217_181021.jpg

IMG_20200217_181044.jpg

13. DAPER

DAPER Member

Think I've made a little progress. Would love some crits on the latest stuff.

2020-02-20 21.53.46.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  14. boogerflicker

boogerflicker New Member

First tag, any criticism would be great . Not sure if I’m happy with the Y yet

677E6A59-400E-49B1-8FB3-B312AE955E0B.jpeg

15. ajan9r

ajan9r Member

bro what's this. first of all picture made me nauseous. second it's not right, I don't feel it at all. it's so dry sorry man.

16. Whtboi

Whtboi Member

Haven't had a lot of time to practice lately. just a few while I'm at work.

20200229_223814.jpg

17. Supra475

Supra475 Member

upload_2020-3-1_21-52-10.jpeg Been practising some tags and am looking for a way to give them a bit more finesse? I know im still a toy but i also wanted to give my humble opinion for the other tags. Dark, maybe try losing the underline and make sure all the letters are angling in the same direction. Yuck, maybe try making ur letters evenly sized and also try ur tag without the underline. Also try without the underline to sap, try making ur letters more evenly sized and maybe a bit wider ( longer) and on a bit of a slant?

18. Whtboi

Whtboi Member

Scribbles at work. Appreciate the criticism @Supra475

20200301_220736.jpg

19. RiVii

RiVii New Member

I see a lot of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism saying use your handwriting and make your tag clean. This is where I’m starting. Would love feedback.

image.jpg

20. RiVii

RiVii New Member

Thinking of something fun like this...

image.jpg