Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Ink Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Enmity, Feb 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. The Most Sadistic

The Most Sadistic Elite Member

What does suspending pigments mean? I tried looking it up with google, but couldn't really find a description I could understand, lol.

And the bitumen mix you gave me, do I just use that on its own or am I supposed to add it to a paint mix after I make it? What is carbon? Cigarette ashes? What kind of dyes can I add? I know oil based dyes only, but any recommended brands or brands to avoid?

Oh and another thing I've been wondering. What is shellac?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

suspending pigments is making piant.
    cuz pigments dotn dissovle in anything, they'll just sink to teh bottom. so you gotta use a binder(linseed oil) to suspend the pigmetns, so that they stay in the mix and dont just sink to the bottom.

bitumen use it on its own, its real hard to buff. and carbon as in graphite, the shit in pencils. get like carbon sticks from some art store and crush them up REAL good. then add
    for the dyes, idk hwere you xan find oil based dyes, so i usually just add any dyes i have, just shake up the mix real well before i use it so that it doesnt seperate.

shellac is this resin that dissolves in alcohol, and people use it like polyurethane to make wood look all nice.

you can go buy it, and thin it down with alcohol then use it as a binder to suspend pigments in an alcohol based ink. its like linseed oil but alcohol based not oil based

3. The Most Sadistic

Thanks for all the info <3

I was also wondering if its possible to make an oil based mixture stain at all? Lets say I have GK and mix in some oil based woodstain, would it stain at all?

4. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea a lil maybe. the thing is
    woodstain is actually not dye, its just like oil solvents and a little bit of pigment, liek if you look at the ingredients, its just pigment. but it stains wood beacuase liek anything stains wood.

you can thin your gk with acetone instead of oil based shit, then add dyes, because acetone can mix with oil and water or alcohol.

a good mix is white rusto thinned with acetone then add some gv or garvey

5. The Most Sadistic

Do you know what kind of mops I can use with acetone? I don't want it to weaken the plastic and end up leaking in my pocket or something, lol.

6. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

just look at the bottom of the mop, you want ones that say #2 HDPE, or PP i forget what number. you dont want #6 or PS.
    what mops are you planning on using/?

7. boby678

boby678 Member

ok i've got a question,if i want to do home made oil based paint,i know that i need linseed oil and pigment but what im supposed to use for the base?i know its a pain in the ass to do when you can buy some anyway thank you

8. ReKoNe~!

ReKoNe~! Banned

micheals sells some powerfull chemical dyes in blue red and green, its by the spray adheisive

9. EGO31

EGO31 Elite Member

what's krink k71 like? Uber un bufffable?
    Thanks for **** ink information.

10. The Most Sadistic

Do you know the brand?

I'll use whatever, I don't really care. Nothing name brand. Right now I'm using a gray color, non-seethrough stazon bottle and another similar one that is see-through.

Edit: have a few empty tee-juice mops laying around too

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  11. ReKoNe~!

ReKoNe~! Banned

it just says irritant on the label

12. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

13. The Most Sadistic

Word. I'll go try to find some. And where should I look for bitumen? Some hardware stores like lowes and home depot might carry it right? What section would it be in?

14. Siner

Siner Senior Member

What would be a good way to turn my pen ink black, cause it ended up purple when i made it. I have already added black fiebings leather dye, boiled down india ink which didn`t dissolve in it so therefore didn`t really make it more black, and more pens which were a diffrent brand then i used for the original recipe. None of these helped. I`ve heard charcoal helps, any other suggestions?

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  15. massacreman

massacreman Elite Member

16. JadedSketches

JadedSketches Elite Member

they buff just like anything else, but they leave a nice ghost stain, use that shit on white plastic/vinyl panels inside busses and passenger trains, that's what I use mine for. Not something i use to tag all the streets with, i prefer mops, i use it on key spots for staining.

17. JadedSketches

JadedSketches Elite Member

Just a heads up, I've had excellent results mixing woodstain with oil based paint in mops, i had a tag run like a year unaffected, it got buffed once chemicaly and it didnt do anything, ran a few more months before getting buffed again, this time they scratched it off from underneath and removed the original paint as well because they couldnt get it off.

red rust paint + red woodstain is the business.

18. ReKoNe~!

ReKoNe~! Banned

i plan on making red pen ink with red chemical dye and red pilot ink, neone know of a store with 24+ pen boxes (red ofc)

19. MARTYRaz

MARTYRaz Banned

u have to make that shit from scratch son...rip up tar off the streets...

20. Regius

Regius Senior Member

i've heard of that ink before...I HEARD it's decent..but have never actually seen or tried it..just goin by what i heard. i'd be willin to try it..