Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Universe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Proper, Aug 26, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Proper

Proper Elite Member

I heard something like this but couldn't really rely on that because I didn't have any sources to back up the claim.

If that's the case, once we figure out how to travel at the speed of light, we've essentially figured out how to make time stand still [almost].

2. sketch3

sketch3 Banned

i got get time to stop in its tracks with a penny if it was a jew

3. Spraycan Stories

Spraycan Stories Senior Member

So the speed of light is the speed of time?

4. thedudeman

thedudeman Senior Member

i still dont understand that theory.. just because i go fast doesnt mean time slows... if i went to the sun and back traveling the speed of light it would take me 8 minutes to get their and 8 minutes back... the earth would say i was gone for 16 minutes and i would also say i was gone 16 minutes... this theory isnt clicking with me.. i dont think speed and time have anything to do with eachother..

5. vegimite on toast

vegimite on toast Elite Member

yeah well if you don't understand it, it can't possibly be credible
    thanks dudeman

i hate to be one of those people who just posts links to wikipedia pages to try and back up something they're saying, but the truth is i don't feel educated enough to explain the theory anyway....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele-Keating_experiment

this might help you a bit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VMO7pcWhg

i don't understand it entirely either...
    it may be hard to get your head around, cause it sounds like complete fiction...but that doesn't mean that it is
    all it means is that there's people out there a hell of a lot smarter than me and you

i guess trying to explain this is like trying to tell a 14th century pope that earth isn't the centre of the universe
    regardless of whether you actually understand it, some pretty credible people agree with it, and in the end its a pretty cool idea to think about....
    time travel...backed up by science

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  6. thedudeman

thedudeman Senior Member

i understand that it does work.. i just dont understand why. all the research ive done always talks about light being relative which i can totally understand.. i just dont get why or how time can be relative. i guess i just have to keep at it until i can finally understand...

7. Loki X Sho

Loki X Sho Banned

8. Proper

Proper Elite Member

You frequent the NASA website?

9. Loki X Sho

Loki X Sho Banned

10. Proper

Proper Elite Member

Nice.

I've been putting on the [NASA] channel and looking at the videos from the International Space Station before I go to sleep. Since there isn't much talking, I can just relax with my music and stare at our oceans through our eyes in space.

It's sweet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  11. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

i used to watch the nasa channel all the time when i had satellite tv.
    i don't get that channel any more with my basic cable package

12. Loki X Sho

Loki X Sho Banned

mission kepler....our little planet hunter. Its capable of detecting earth like planets...

13. Thrice

Thrice Elite Member

^Namek anybody?

14. drOping

drOping Senior Member

I was reading this book that is Called Fabric of the Cosmos:Space, Time, and the texture of reality. It talked alot about spacetime...they refer to this as one single thing. Instead of thinking about just one or the other think of them as an interwoven fabric that greatly influence each other. An example that helps me understand it is this:

Think of space being an arrow pointing north, and time being an arrow pointing east. If we were traveling at the speed of light we would pretty much be traveling on that arrow pointing north, therefor we would bairly be moving east at all (maybe a tiny fraction) so essentailly time would be standing still (our time). But since we are traveling no where close to the speed of light in our everday lives, I like to think that we are traveling between the to arrows, but mostly east. Lets just say NorthEastEastEast. So we are moving mostly on that time arrow, but a little on the space one.

The book is crazy..and i have not yet finished it. But it also brings up a point somewhere on the lines of this...try to stay with me...i dont even fully understand what im about to say but its something i think about...but blah here it is.

So what is the present? is it like a nanosecond in time (or perhaphs even smaller...so small we cant even measure it). Lets say that chewbacca is in another galaxy far away...but hes cutting lawns everyday like i do. so were pushing a lawn mower at the same time right? but since he is so far away it's like he is back in time, and vica versa, to him, I am back in time. Since even traveling at the speed of light would take thousands(or millions) of years for our eyeballs to even see wtf is going on. So its like were doing shit at the same time...but we are so far away, that we are both in the past to each other ya know? so therefore space and time must be related.

But think about this...what is actually happening right now? I feel that what is actually happening right now, is only relevent to me. I'm taking the same concept i talked about with chewbacca or stars being really far away and bringing it down to an earth level. You look at a streetlight (turning on) that is really far away...it still takes time for the light to reach your eye doesn't it? So isn't the street light flicking on...in the past while you are in the present?

the farther away something is...the farther back in time it is (essentially). So you can't see the present? I say essentially because, yes things can be happening in the present at the same time...but who could see it?)

I like to think of time as like a force field around me, and the present is a microscopic point in my brain. It spreads out in all directions from my body to the universe. Since we are all on earth, and really we cant distinguish the speed of light, it is almost the same as thinking about time being a force field around earth instead of my brain. (since hey what difference does it make if the point of the present is the size of the earth or a microscopic point in my brain...its still smalll as FUCK)

What about two people who were born the same day and died the same day...one turned out to be a jet pilot, the other a 9-5 desk job. Lets say they pilot travels possibly hundreds of thousands more miles in his lifetime then the other guy. Would he be traveling through more space and less time? I think essentially yes in my opinion. So would the pilot have essentially lived a longer life in the same period of time?

I don't think clocks represent time well....for our tiny little earth lives yes...but universally no. I try to make my time on this world more valuable by realizing how crazy time is, and by getting out and exploring the world while others sit on there ass.

15. El Chupacabre

El Chupacabre Senior Member

16. -Empty-Can-

-Empty-Can- Elite Member

I don't think that we'll ever be able to understand the universe. Even if we could travel faster that the speed of light, it still is impossible to explorer the whole universe. No human would ever be able to go to different universes unless scientists created something that made people live hundreds of thousands of years we wont go very far. We can barely make it to Mars. If the universe is infinite, we could never find out.

Lets say that a space ship did reach the end of the universe. You wont rip through it like a piece of paper. I think it would almost be like getting stuck. You wouldn't be traveling any distance but it would look as if you just stopped moving. Kind of like the universe is one big mirror.

I think the theory about how time slows down when traveling at the speed of light is true Were moving so fast it seems as time slows down. Almost like when your driving next to a car on the highway and you look at the wheel and it looks like it is moving half the speed.

17. Loki X Sho

Loki X Sho Banned

read about the kepler mission.

and i read about mars recently...it would take 6 months to get there, they would stay until the end of rotation, and then when earth and mars are to be aligned, they leave...6 months home. All in all a 2.5 year mission.

18. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

faster than the speed of light is impossible, keep in mind that once an item approaches the speed of light, the mass of that item increases infinitely.

19. -Empty-Can-

-Empty-Can- Elite Member

^Yea. And once your at the speed of light, anything faster is still slow.

Example: Speed of Light 186,000mph Now when another object travels at the speed of light right next to it. They're going 0. Now if one object speeds up. Lets say to 190,000mhp. Now really its only going 4,000mph because its only 4,000mph faster than the speed of light.

(Sorry if my units are off or my example sucks)

20. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

but since it's impossible to reach the speed of light, everything you just said has no basis