Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

what is your take on stencils?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REMIX8604, Nov 23, 2011.

Share This Page

1. NJallDAY

NJallDAY New Member

yeah well thats to spray the stencil... how you gunna make the stencil if you can draw?????????? obviously the spary part is easy.. im arguing the fact that if you gunna make a stencil it better be dope weather its a protrait or a toon or some shit like that... tags or throwies are weak.. but you cant make a good stencil if you cant draw and if you cant draw you cant graff either way plain and simple!! its all an art form so STOP KNOCKIN EVERYONES SHIT! and focus on your own pieces!

2. ribcage

ribcage Banned

Stop knocking everyones shit? Whose "shit" did I "knock" in this thread? Calm the fuck down

tons of stencil fags use photoshop, or just take a picture from somewhere to make their stencils. So in fact, they can make a "good" stencil, and cant draw. Graffiti is about painting is it not? Thats why I think stencils are the weakest form of art, and at the bottom of a big pile of shit under graffiti.

this^

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Leary

Leary Member

I write and use stencils. Stencils are great for making images as they save time and provide a crisp clean image. I can gaurentuee that there is nobody on this forum that can put up a 6 foot image of atlas holding up an overpass in under 5 minutes without using a stencil. I do agree with the point that people who take images from google and manipulate them are missing the point of graffiti. But those of us who take time to hand draw and plan our peices before we leave shouldent get so much hate.

4. AirMaxKid889Bomber

AirMaxKid889Bomber Member

banksy uses stencils? i rekon they are graffiti as much as piecing or throwies...

5. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

stencils are cool if there complex imo cant knock someone expressing themselves make the shit clever nto just your tag you vut out and rock it witha stencil that shit is PUSSSSSSSSY.

6. ribcage

ribcage Banned

Is that supposed to be cool? Does that make you feel like a man? using a cut out to paint instead of a free hand? Okay you can do a 6 foot outline of atlas, but you can take all the time in the world to make and manipulate the image. Lol Yea, you can do it in less time, but when it comes to the painting aspect, which I believe to be a very important part of graffiti, theres no skill. As opposed to someone else going under the same overpass and taking 15-20 minutes to do a character of the same size, without using any gimmicks.

7. 2mor

2mor Senior Member

banksys a biter n a fag....

8. MiDo93

MiDo93 Senior Member

^agreed

I make some stencils and i can admit i cant draw for shit, but i do make a rough sketch of what i want to make and use photoshop to make it the way i want it to be. with that being said it doesn't really require any skill. Now i can say that stencils do suck at times. Any shmuck can take an image of the interenet and then just threshold the shit out of it or posterize it. Or if your really a shmuck you just look up "street art" Stencils on google and print them out and cut and spray. Doing that just makes me want to throw up. But i will say some people, not most, will take the time to make an actual legit stencil of something and it will come out beautiful. The thing is you dont really see that as much as you would like, you see stencils on the streets that kids got from 4chan thinking their cool sprayin it around. Basically what i am trying to say is, stenciling is in no way close to being better than graffiti," tagging, bombs, throwies, pieces", but if the person puts their heart into making it and it has a meaning then i believe it has a purpose.

Heres a stencil i made up, its suppose resemble my brother who past away when i was 5. He loved mickey and he past away due to some sort of respiratory problem. Im getting a tattoo of it during the winter with angel wings on his back.
    Heres the stencil
    Mickey Stencil.jpg
    and heres the tattoo version
    Tattoo.jpg

9. Leary

Leary Member

Did you not read my first statement? I can paint freehand but i would rather not when im bombing pictures. In the city where i live if you stick around for 20 minutes under an overpass you are most likely to get bagged. Stencils have their place in the world as much as somebody who writes. Also i choose not to use photo manipulation and draw my stencils freehand. To be completly honest i would rather see stenciled shit over some of the toy handstyles that are everywhere. Your statement about me feeling like a man or cool is irrelevant because i was making a point. We need to stop hating other people in the scene and look at our similarities rather than how different we are. Everybody who does graffiti or street art hates authority and wants to paint to express themselves. So please dont knock somebodies techniques because you believe them to be infirrior. I dont ask you to like what i and my fellow stencilers do but i do ask you to accept it and stop giving everybody shit.

10. 2mor

2mor Senior Member

i think id rather see toy handstyles...stencilling isnt graffiti to me and the people i know who stencil know absolutely nothing about graffitis history,the rules etc. and i have seen very very few stencils that arent' bansky-esque ........'ohh lets put ronald mcdonald in a nazi uniform!'..fair enough to the guy above who does it to represent his brother who died but i cant stands the people pretending to make political statements n shit....shits fuckin weak....

11. Otesk

Otesk Member

Being an active graffiti artist, and having made many stencils as well, i'd have to agree with those who say it is cheap and easy. Anyone can print an image, cut it out, and spray it, EVEN if it takes a while to do. I especially hate people who use stencils to make canvases, for the same reason: it is easy. And then they act like they are from the streets, fuck that. Anyone can splatter paint on a canvas and then spray an image over it. I really only respect larger scale stencils, and the original stencil street artists.

12. ribcage

ribcage Banned

@leary you were making a point? I was too; stencils are gay

13. Cokaineninja

Cokaineninja New Member

stencils are all good, i mean there weaker than actually gettin out there and drawing a piece. but its still gettin up...still gettin up.

14. Leary

Leary Member

Is that all you took from my post? Seriously. Your either a huge toy or a huge troll.

15. ribcage

ribcage Banned

Or just a jack in the box, who knows that only queers put up stencils and call it good graffiti. you said that 20 minutes under an overpass will get you bagged? maybe if its fucking 3 o clock traffic. Underneath an overpass at night bro, a hp rolls by you and is gonna think your a hobo if he even looks.

keep typing like your words are gold, nothing is gonna change the view of stencils from graffitis perspective

16. Leary

Leary Member

Yeah 3:00am traffic in a canadian city. Theres always unmarked cars on the road looking for graff artists.
    I never asked you to change i just asked you to stop shoving your oppinion down everybodies throat. Yours is not the only way.

17. Rumple_Stiltzkin

Rumple_Stiltzkin Member

LOL. Do you even understand the meaning of art and creativity? Art is not only using a spray can and a blank wall, Art is everything and everywhere. Go into any Art gallery, 50% of the pieces are splatters of paint, blobs and random objects painted onto canvas, they are bought for millions of pounds. It does not take skill to do this with a brush, there is absolutely no skill involved, does that mean its not art?

Im pretty sure Timberland Cant play the trumpet, but using instrument emulators using a keyboard he has a trumpet sound on a song, is Timberland not an artitist too?

Anybody that thinks freehand spraying is the only legitimate medium to express creativity, and that only freehand spraying has a place on public walls is an ignorant, uneducated, single minded CUNT.

"i only respect stencils on canvas to make money" WOW, youv pretty much summed up your philosiphy on art with that. What a TOY!

18. Strange Journeys

Strange Journeys Senior Member

19. Rumple_Stiltzkin

Rumple_Stiltzkin Member

"graffiti plural of graf·fi·ti Noun: Writing or drawings scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on a wall or other surface in a public place"

Yes sir, it is Graffiti.

20. Rumple_Stiltzkin

Rumple_Stiltzkin Member

Fookin hell, iv only been a member here for 3 days and im already sick of the idiotic, ignorant and petty minds of the "artists" here. Bar a few of you, I think you are all a bunch of mugs, and you all smell like cheesy cock, big hairy cheesy cock, that your dad sucked last night.
    Hows that for some mindless wisdom.

In the words of Johnathan Davis, "you can all suck my dick and fucking like it"!