Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

What Respirator Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by element503, Oct 23, 2004.

Share This Page

1. Grafx

Grafx New Member

Theres hardly any links, and the nones in hometown suck. I want sometin cool lookn. The bombn site store doesnt have it any more

2. Grafx

Grafx New Member

come on some has to have a tight ass mask that works.

3. dageotb

dageotb Senior Member

yeah i really like the ao safety mask they just send me there new one for free the quick latch is one of the best mask. i was giving a interveiw to a japan graff magazine and using the quick latsh pro half face mask is cool with me but make shure that you get the correct cartriges get the organic vapors they really ok but for your lunges. get the r53he-p100 cartriges beacuse that catrige stop 99% of all fumes = ammonia any toxic fumes by the way any half face mask is great but make shure try to get the next level cartrige from the organic cartrige ;)

4. Havoc411

Havoc411 Elite Member

fuck, how'd you get a free resp?

5. dageotb

dageotb Senior Member

yo be very smart when getting a free resp frpm 3m or aosaftey or what ever call the customer service of the resp company and explain to them that your half face resp rubber that protect your mouth is damage and it is very hard to find the replacemrnt rubber so they with ask you where did you buy it from so then be smart tell them what type of resp you have tell them that you paint car's so then send you a industrail half face mask with the flyest cartriges for painting make shure you tell them that your are un a school trainnig program for auto paint car's so they will hook you up on the strength if any problems please contact me at [email protected] so then good luck

6. Havoc411

Havoc411 Elite Member

ingenious, you've got alot of good know-how man.

7. Comc

Comc Member

what are the cheapest respirators you found?
    I'm looking for one like 20-30 max

8. MrCzar

MrCzar Senior Member

Ok heres the real shake down on respirators.

Every respirator consists of two parts: the mask and the filters.

The mask is the rubber/plastic/mylar part that covers the nose and mouth. This part doesn't matter what kind you have as long as it gets a good and proper seal.

The filters is the main difference between all respirators.

Spray paint, spray glue, markers, paint pens, and some etching fluids all contain VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds. VOCs damage the nervous system and the heart particularlly well. VOCs are absorbed through the nose, mouth, and the skin but the major is inhaled.

When shopping for a respirator it is important to see what levels of VOCs the filter can handle. Most handle between 30%-65% range. This covers most graffiti impliments. These filters last quite awhile as well. For some paints and especially spray glues in particular Super 77, the VOCs is around 75%. You can buy filters that protect up to this but they are most costly and have a short life cycle and have to be replaced frequently.

If you're planning on doing extremely extensive painting *beyond 30 mins* or indoor painting, I recommend purchasing a surplus gas mask. Gas masks with new fresh filters protect in the 90%-95% VOC range along with filtering out many other chemicals that standard respirators don't. The advantage of a gas mask over a respirator is it provides additional protection for VOCs by reducing the absorption through the tissue of the eyes. Gas masks though are much higher in cost to maintain and filters can sometimes be harder to come by.

Well theres your answer.

9. ->toNE*

->toNE* Elite Member

any that keeps the fumes away

10. moneyone

moneyone Senior Member

i just got a new 3m from home depot and the back of the pack thing it was in had a little orange sticker that said use before may 10th... what do they mean cause i think the home depot ppl put that there, and is it bad it i take a pad out of the wrapping its in and put them in the respirator if it sits around for a while?

11. MrCzar

MrCzar Senior Member

It means the filters are old. Get new filters.

12. moneyone

moneyone Senior Member

good looking out, so filters go bad?

13. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Senior Member

14. MitNGEK

MitNGEK Elite Member

just get a real good one

15. MrCzar

MrCzar Senior Member

He probably does have a real one! Yeah filters go bad. They don't last forever. After awhile the filter neutralizes itself from free floating VOCs and other chemicals in the air. After awhile even though you've never used the filters you have to throw them away if they've been exposed to regular air.

If the filters were sealed in plastic/mylar/ etc then the filters are fine. Its only when their exposed to regular air that they decay.

16. Sampson

Sampson Member

I just went to home depo to get one and they only had one that was 48 dollars. Are they cheeper for you guys cuz you dont live in canada or something or just different models?

17. KAY-lo_use_RUST-o

KAY-lo_use_RUST-o Elite Member

lemme see... $48 canadian dollers... thats about..

$6 american dollers... thats so worth it :lol:

18. MaD ScRiBbLeS

MaD ScRiBbLeS Senior Member

i was thinkin about buying a respirator..then i went and bought a blackbook and some paintmarkers for 31.87. i had 60 bucks, but i had to pay this dude for "the lines toughest vol IV" so now i have like 20..will that still be enough to buy one?

19. MaD ScRiBbLeS

MaD ScRiBbLeS Senior Member

today was "take your kid to work" day..so i got to go to work with my mom...ive only been workin since like 10, but im done now and i made 10 bucks..now that goes to my respirator fund:)

plus yesterday i went to the home depot site and they had respirators for 100 bucks or more..what happened to the 30$ ones?

20. Ume

Ume Moderator

why don't you just rack one? i got my 3m resp. that way, and a couple extra filters, it isen't hard...oh i got it from home hardware so yeah.