Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Wheatpaste

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by C-money fresh!, Sep 2, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

Wheatpasting trains? Can't say I've ever done that or heard of anyone doing that before. The posters won't last long.....too much dust and dirt and wind, they'll decay really quickly.

What kind of paper/paint were you using? And what are you cutting your stencils from? I spraypaint all my posters and don't really every have a problem with paint bleeding beyond the stencil lines.

Your images are getting cleaner but it you could spraypaint them they'd look even better. With such a bold, high-contrast image you really need super clean lines to make it look fresh.

....oh, and ya may not want to make a habit of pasting over graffiti. That's a real good way to start beef with writers.

2. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

Yeah. i figured the posters wouldnt last long. I was just using a couple layers of clear coat and a good layer of wheatepaste to enhance the durability. And I dont normally go over graffiti. But I hardly ever go to the place I was at, and im pretty sure the people i went over were just visiting to since they put AL on there names. If they do get beef, oh well, I wont ever see them again :p.

3. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

and I use newsprint, and usually when I used paint, it was ultra flat black krylon. and another question.I used to go to kinkos to get my posters printed, does anyone know if the cops can intarogate the workers if they wanted to? or if the workers can report you?

4. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

As far as copy shops go, my oppinion (and only my oppinion cuzz I don't use them and don't know for sure) is that if you live in a large city, they probably won't know or care, but I would use cash to pay for them. I don't think the cops would bother asking around copy shops unless you were INCREDIBLEY up. A pissy worker just might call the fuzz if they knew what was up, but I really doubt it, plus your posters look like they could easily be band advertisements or something.
    As for pasting trains, you're gonna get clowned on for that. Wheatpasting is tailored for getting ups in heaty spots. Trainyards aren't exactly heaty. Plus freights are like writers last connection to the old subway type shit and are pretty sacred to that whole culture. They aren't gonna like seeing street art on their trains at all. Plus, asthetically, I just don't see it making any sense. Like Indigo was saying, spend some time considering your placement.;)

5. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

Aight man. well thanks. Ive never really see anyone do it, so i didnt really know if that was a good place or not. ill put up some pics later of some different spots and see if Im getting better with my placement :p

6. hammer_time

hammer_time Banned

you always struck me as someone who lived in a bigger city, anyway i can understand that, the wheat pasteing around here is done by super hardcore punk rock kids, usual anarchy paraphenalia wheat pasted WITH the glass and shit in it so my opinion is biased i suppose

*edit* i also dont think that any copy shop would have anything to say as long as your paying them..

**super double edit** AHHH! no dont paste freights.....please

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  7. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

I've only been in a small city since 04. I spent the rest of my life in big cities, but I really like it here. go figure.

The propaganda side of postering kinda bores me as do politics to be honest. They're important, but graff/street art wise, they really arent. Nobody gives a fuck what we think on that level. I'd rather just talk to people in a personal way than campaign for something. All the politics in the world wont save a community if they're emotionally asleep on an individual level.

8. hammer_time

hammer_time Banned

9. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

....and that's your problem riiight thur. Krylon is shit, since they redesigned the formula to make it easier to buff. Now it's watery and runny as hell. When I first started stenciling posters I was using Krylon and getting bleeding every single time.

Especially with newsprint because its so thin.

Keep the newsprint and switch your paint to Montana or Belton and I guarantee you that the problem will go away.

....I use Montana Gold. I end up payng $2.50 more per can than for Krylon but its well worth it, IMO.

10. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. It takes me 20 minutes to make one poster cause of the whole sharpie thing, so ill be sure to order some montana. I actually have some here, i just dont have any caps for it. but thanks again indigo. You just saved me a lot of time and money.

11. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

no probs. glad to be of help :)
    looking forward to seeing the new and improved posters!
    oh - make sure you get low pressure caps, it helps a lot. I find that the grey cap blue dots work best for stenciling. grey cap black dots are also good - they're really fat so would work good for your stuff because there's not that much negative space.

12. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

the caps i got were NY fats. would those work? I would probably just have to hold the can farther away from the paper so it does come down so hard. I will prolly order some grey caps later. thanks again : )

13. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

the caps i got were NY fats. would those work? I would probably just have to hold the can farther away from the paper so it does come down so hard. I will prolly order some grey caps later. thanks again : )

14. Street love

Street love New Member

So Indigo, you draw all of your big posters by hand? Can I get any other input of on how to enlarge smaller pictures? I have some from magazines that I want to make a lot larger.

15. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

easiest way is to use a projector......or there are some photo programs that can print it out on multiple sheets of paper, if you scanned it into your computer. But I don't really know much about that.

16. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

Tiny Blobs Need Love Too

(silly little posters I put up yesterday)

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3259_2680675125_b30de63a14.png

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3253_2680674735_1f498faaf6.png

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3178_2681491888_513bc702ba.png

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180346.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180350.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180334.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180336.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180327.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180330.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180320.jpg

ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s291_Stylefinds_P7180339.jpg

17. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

haha nice work indigo, I like it :p. Ive been thinking about adding some speech bubbles to a new character I got and just have it comment on the surroundings around it, ill have pics up soon : )

18. Each

Each Senior Member

whats a good paper to use for posters? i herd your supposed to use light paper like newspaper but that already has shit on it. so any suggestions?

19. BigBlueViolence

BigBlueViolence Elite Member

Paint over what's already on it?

20. acereborn

acereborn Elite Member

Just use normal printer paper, works fine.