Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

ZOMG!!!11!!!!1 Shepard Fairey is a biter....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kayone707, Feb 5, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Terrible N

Terrible N Banned

What he said.

2. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Senior Member

I dont have a thing against stencilers(I think what banksy does is badass to the 3rd degree) but when I read that article, I just lost all respect for Obey. Personally I already thought that clothing line sucked, but he copied all that art.....and doesnt even add any STYLE. I thought STYLE was pretty much what defined "good" graff from, "toy" graff. Dont say "Oh, hes a stencil dude, he doesnt 'do' style". Bull, Shit. Lots of stencilists have a personal style, this guy doesnt have any. Massive loss of respect for the guy here.

3. Terrible N

Terrible N Banned

Speaking of Shepard Fairey's clothing line, the token gay kid at my school was wearing an Obey shirt the other day.

4. LostYouth

LostYouth Elite Member

dude i didnt even read this article that good
    i just skimmed it
    and i was amazed how blatant of a biter this guy is

5. vegimite on toast

vegimite on toast Elite Member

haha from that article

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spotting Mederos’ stolen poster image on the bombingscience.com website where Fairey’s clothing line is sold, Cushing wrote the outlet the following e-mail:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Please be advised that the 'Cuban Rider' t-shirt you have listed for sale is a direct copy of a poster by Cuban artist Rene Mederos, and is an unauthorized violation of his work. I work closely with the Mederos estate and have represented them in several arrangements for use of his work. Given that your item is violating the intellectual property rights of another artist, you can do one of two things - either negotiate with Rene Mederos' estate for a fair royalty (assuming that they will grant it) or you can immediately stop production of this item and remove advertising from the public. Please let me know how you wish to proceed."[/FONT]

6. Scino & Spank

Scino & Spank Senior Member

I dont understand where you get biting from? He uses photoshop n other tools to make posters. Thats what most posterboys do, isnt it?

7. Scheme*119

Scheme*119 Elite Member

8. Speedy

Speedy Senior Member

A lot of those things he pretty much had to make direct copies of or they would have lost intended meaning. Like the big brother one for example. He wanted the theme to be big brother. If he would have just drawn up some random face, it would have been just some random face, NOT big brother. It would have been pointless.

9. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Senior Member

Yeah, but the point is he bites everything hes ever done. What would you think of a writer that got really famous and everyone thought he was awesome, then someone comes along and proves that everything he did to get famous and everything he has been doing he bit from someone elses style? I'd slash the guy.

10. Slushi

Slushi Banned

LOL. It's pretty fucked up that this stupid meme actually makes people feel good about themselves.

11. .HATESONE.

.HATESONE. Banned

the difference is....those people got up.they ACTUALLY write.posterboys arent writers.and what the fuck r you talking aobut the same risks? how long does a poster take to but up? not very long.id venture to say between 3 and 5 minutes.not only that but people are less likely to freak out on a poster than someone using paint.idk man all im saying is...hes a fag.thats it.obey hasnt contributed anything to graffiti,and the stuff hes given to art is all stolen anyways...also this thread is a failure and someone should close it...

12. Scheme*119

Scheme*119 Elite Member

thats exactly what i say, but it really does help, it doesnt motivate me, that shit just makes me laugh

13. pandemik

pandemik Senior Member

I agree to a certain extent, but their art is till subversive, and it is still a form or graff.

14. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Elite Member

15. B.S. POLICE

B.S. POLICE Banned

how are his charges a misdemeanor? graffiti in mass is a felony

16. Scino & Spank

Doesn't a throw-up only take 2-5 minutes...?

17. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Elite Member

thats longer than it takes me to bust inside yer mom

18. Scino & Spank

19. B.S. POLICE

B.S. POLICE Banned

i wish a throw up took me 5 mins..

20. its all good till the cops come

its all good till the cops come Senior Member

idk why everyones hating on him...sure its not graff...its a whole different game..but big deal..hes still putting his ass on the line to get his message out...u can pick him apart all u want...its fuckin immature..